The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
MSC2024SN1, Drummerboy, FrankoMD, +resurrexi+, Eala
6,005 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 49 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,403
Posts416,807
Members6,005
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Dear Stuart,

You always have to have the last word, don't you? smile

OK, OK, you're right.

Alex

A
AMM Offline
A
Deacon Richard, thank you for taking the time to reply to my questions.

When you said

Clearly, the pourpose of civil law is not to enlighten such as these, but merely to curtail their activities.

I think you’re probably getting closest to my own view, although I will admit I am not a particularly political person. Mark 12:17 is also a passage that has always stood out to me. The model of civil society you outline above is I think a worthy one. It is of course not that simple, and that civil law or actions taken by the government to maintain civil society, often veer in to areas that are highly morally problematic. We know this can go well beyond protection of individual rights and in to the positive enforcement of moral precepts. I do believe it is all related to the thorny topic of religious justification for violence, holy war, and warrior saints. Exactly what is allowable in the temporal world in defense of religious values? It is a difficult topic.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2024). All rights reserved.