The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 383 guests, and 41 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
OP Offline
L
Yup. And I stayed for all 3 stanzas of the final hymn and was in my car at 7 minutes before 12 noon. I like to think it's quality versus quantity but I still feel short changed.

P
P
Some days, the Liturgy just goes faster than others.

That's all there is to it.

I saw a LONG video of the Patriarch of Moscow celebrating with full ceremonial.

From greeting and vesting, to giving various awards at the end, the Liturgy took 7 hours.

L
OP Offline
L
This is the average each and every Sunday. It just feels like something is missing. And there are no other choices in this city.

B
B
Originally Posted by lcanthony
Yup. And I stayed for all 3 stanzas of the final hymn and was in my car at 7 minutes before 12 noon. I like to think it's quality versus quantity but I still feel short changed.

Wow. How is this even possible? Ours went nearly 90 minutes yesterday, and we had the fast cantor.

Did you stop to think that might be because your priest has two parishes and this is his second Liturgy? Be thankful you get to have Liturgy every Sunday, the time is coming when you might not have it.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Christ is in our midst!!

As Father Deacon notes, maybe your priest was at the second of his parishes for the day. I know of a priest who had three parishes and found that trying to do three liturgies on a Sunday morning was impossible.

Forgive me, as an outsider, but Father Deacon makes a second good point. With the clergy shortage fast approaching critical mass, there may come the day when Liturgy is a rarity--sign on door: "No Liturgy; no priest."

I suggest concentrating on the fact that you touched the Divine and He touched you, even for so short a time. And He went home with you.

Bob

E
E
When will our malfeasant bishops start ordaining married men presented to them by the people of God: to give them bread instead of a stone, fish instead of a serpent! And yet it was precisely the hierarchy of the archeparchy with the worst priest-to-parish ratio that stymied the attempts of the other bishops to resolve this shortage in the ancient, apostolic manner!
On a related subject: when my seminarians talk about 'discerning a vocation' I tell them in no uncertain terms it is the faithful who should be discerning a vocation in you not you discerning a vocation in you! Vox clamantis in deserto!

E
E
On Sundays of the Great Fast the Divine Liturgy of St. Basil the Great at St. Michael's Russian Catholic Chapel averages 1:40 -- a bit longer since we have a catechumen and so do 'his' litany. Starting with the forth week we also do the exorcisms one per Sunday. so now, maybe 1:45. What's the hurry anyway? We're enjoying a foretaste of the Eternal Divine Liturgy offered by the High Priest in the Heavenly Kingdom. Gotta get used to it!

I know this was the priest's second liturgy.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
D
D
In our Russian GC Church in Melbourne, St Basil Liturgy takes about 100 minutes (not counting 3rd and 6th hours). But we don't normally do the stikhiry at the Third Antifon, or Psalm 33 after the Budi Imya, or have confessions during Liturgy.

M
M
It seems censorship of any pro-Byzantine Tradition comments is alive and well at byzcath. Shame.

Then let me say this.

I salute our priests, most of whom dislike the RDL, the neutered secular political language and the awful Teal Terror. All it's done is to chase people away. The bishops are fully aware of this. They could easily choose to allow a fuller, more traditional celebration of the Ruthenian Liturgy. That they don't speaks volumes.

As to getting through the Basil Liturgy in 53 minutes, that was the goal. Father David Petras speaks openly that their goal was shorten the liturgy by removing the repetitions to match the typical 45 minutes of the RC Mass. This is why the litanies were removed or shortened. He says that people will go to the shorter RC Mass instead of a 75 minute Byzantine Liturgy.

AthanasiusTheLesser
AthanasiusTheLesser
Originally Posted by MichaelO
It seems censorship of any pro-Byzantine Tradition comments is alive and well at byzcath. Shame.

In all charity, you're terribly wrong about this. The overwhelming sentiment on this Forum vis-a-vis the Ruthenian DL has been very much against the RDL and in favor of the full, traditional liturgy.

Last edited by Athanasius The L; 04/09/14 09:45 AM.
S
Cantor
Cantor
S
Even if it were the priest's second liturgy, there is still no need to rush it. Scheduling is making allowances for liturgy length. To rush because of "schedule" is to shortchange the congregation, plain and simple.

The factiod that it is the RDL has nothing to do with how long it really takes. From all the hearsay that Fr David Petras pushed for the liturgy to be under an hour, and for that matter, all the hearsay that has been fomented against the RDL here at Byzcath has done NOTHING to help the situation at our parishes.
True the RDL has many issues. I am not a particular fan of it myself, but I have yet to personally witness a St Basil RDL liturgy, with at least a 10 minute homily and about 50 congregants take less than an hour and ten minutes (and that was with a very fast cantor).

S
S
Not quite hearsay, Steve, as he said it in my presence. As for "the RDL has many issues", that's much like saying "The Titanic had a leak".

J
jjp Offline
J
Originally Posted by StuartK
Not quite hearsay, Steve, as he said it in my presence.

I wish I knew this stuff earlier.

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.