The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (seven_mansions), 409 guests, and 37 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#407931 08/27/14 09:48 PM
OP Offline
Well, I visited my favourite Russian store today. They have wonderful little icons and devotionals.

Haven't been there in a while but today I was truly sickened by what I saw.

There were dozens of USSR flags, T-shirts and souvenirs with the hammer and sickle - side by side with the icons. Also, they were selling AK-47 "souvenir" bullets and also bayonets, which the labels attached to them said were for affixing to AK)47 rifles. Posters of Lenin, Stalin ... in short, a great hankering for the "good old days" when the USSR was around and the Church was persecuted. Except now they seem to think that the Church can live alongside that same nostalgia.

They never had anything like this before and I visited a few more such stores which also sported the same things.

I wonder what anyone without any familiarity with Slavic traditions would think if they wandered into such a store?

Would they think the religion of such a people is also not a religion of peace, icons and prayerbooks notwithstanding?

Alex

Alex, where is this shop situated? I think, if you want to look for icons better to go to the monastery and not to the souvenir shop...
I'm in Ukraine now, in Kiev, and it is really an experience to be here. I'm Russian looking for the things going on here, compassionating the Ukrainian nation and, telling the truth, it's a shame to be Russian now! I feel very disappointed.
I will visit the Lavra http://lavra.kiev.ua soon, I will look for some icons too. If you want any icons from this Saint place or other churches in Kiev (also Byzantine-Catholic), just tell I can purchase and send you.

Syncretism with nationalism....some serious First Commandment issues there.

OP Offline
Dear Nataly,

It is so wonderful to know that you are in Kiev!!! You have nothing to be ashamed of, my dear!

Thank you for your kindness also - if you see a small prayer rope at the Caves Lavra, I will pay you many times over for it!

But please don't concern yourself with it!

Have a blessed time!

Alex

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.