The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 297 guests, and 33 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Nataly Offline OP
OP Offline
On September 22, 2014, the 13th plenary session of the Joint Commission for Theological Dialogue Between the Orthodox and the Roman-Catholic Churches completed its work, at Amman, Jordan.

Source: http://www.pravmir.com/13-plenary-s...l-dialogue-completes-work/#ixzz3EG4FdkjR

Thanks for sharing that link, dear Nataly...

How beautiful it is when brothers dwell together in peace.

Metropolitan Ilarion is definitely a brother to all Ukrainian Catholics!

That is so because we can choose our friends . . .

Alex

You've got to be kidding!
Metropolitan Hilarion is clearly anti Greek Catholic. He refers to us as "uniates" - so disrespectful. He is paranoid, non ecumenical and a Russian propagandist as another one of Putin's puppets.
For a good example of his repulsive remarks, go to
http://orientale-lumen.blogspot.it/2014/09/bleeding-wound-to-political-heart.html?m=1

Dear Pavloosh,

I made a joke - if you re-read my post.

"We can choose our friends . . ." get it?

Alex

Nataly Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Pavloosh
He is paranoid, non ecumenical and a Russian propagandist as another one of Putin's puppets.
This categorical statement is too rude! Metropolitan Hilarion is integrated into the modern Russian Orthodox church's policy and he is a right hand of the patriarch - this is true. But he is not at all a "paranoid" and "Putin's puppet" ... Too rude for this case!
He is the very person who is engaged in the ecumenical movement, so that some of the reactionary movements of the church considers him to be a "wrong priest".
He is well educated, clever, he is the author of many interesting books, philological and theological researches and also he is a composer of some religious hymns and symphonies. Telling the truth, sometimes we have to close eyes on what a person says on politics, it's a pity. In the case with Metropolitan Hilarion better to consider him to be more useful to the Church and culture, than to discuss what he says about the political situation. Though I'm very interested in the political situation in Ukraine, but I don't want to listen what does Metropolitan Hilarion say about this. I rather prefer to take a book about life and work of Saint Gregory the Theologian, written by the Metropolitan, and read it with much pleasure.

If you want to know more about him, please,
watch his films

read his books http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=dp_by...+Hilarion+Alfeyev&sort=relevancerank

Some of his books translated into English:
St Symeon the New Theologian and Orthodox Tradition, Oxford: Oxford University Press.
The Spiritual World of Isaac the Syrian, Cistercian Studies (175), Kalamazoo, MI: Cistercian Publications.
The Mystery of Faith. Introduction to the Teaching and Spirituality of the Orthodox Church, London: Darton, Longman & Todd.
Orthodox Witness in a Modern Age, Geneva: WCC Publications.
Christ the Conqueror of Hell. The Descent into Hell in Orthodox Tradition, New York: SVS Press.
Orthodox Christianity, I. The History and Canonical Structure of the Orthodox Church, New York: SVS Press.
Orthodox Christianity, II. Doctrine and Teaching of the Orthodox Church, New York: SVS Press.

listen to his music

Dear Nataly,

What you say about the Metropolitan's achievements is absolutely true.

Alex

Originally Posted by Pavloosh
You've got to be kidding!
Metropolitan Hilarion is clearly anti Greek Catholic. He refers to us as "uniates" - so disrespectful. He is paranoid, non ecumenical and a Russian propagandist as another one of Putin's puppets.
For a good example of his repulsive remarks, go to
http://orientale-lumen.blogspot.it/2014/09/bleeding-wound-to-political-heart.html?m=1
Met. Hilarion isn't Catholic-friendly? Why am I just hearing about this now??

What Hilarious says about the Greek Catholic Church is not political, it's downright hateful, prejudicial and ignorant.

Sorry but so many minced words. How's anyone to know whether you have a high opinion of him or a low one?

Originally Posted by Orthodox Catholic
I made a joke
Okay, just don't expect me to make one as well. grin

Dear Pavloosh,

Sorry but "Hilarious" is not acceptable. One may oppose a person without denigrating him.

I've known many Ukrainian Orthodox (autocephalous and otherwise not under the Moscow Patriarchate) who would agree with Metropolitan Hilarion when it comes to the UGCC.

I once asked an EC acquaintance in Ukraine to purchase a calendar for me from the UAOC. He did, but not before he was set upon by the UAOC priest as a "traitor to Ukraine" for being Greek Catholic.

So the ROC doesn't have a monopoly on such things.

In any event, Patriarch Svyatoslav would never denigrate those who disagreed with him in such a way (including Russian Orthodox prelates AND Roman Catholic bishops/cardinals who are likewise against the UGCC as they are pro-Russian Orthodox).

We can and should oppose the MP on this score. But we don't need to stoop to the level of a number of quite serious enemies of the UGCC to do so - and as you have unfortunately done.

Alex

Originally Posted by Orthodox Catholic
I've known many Ukrainian Orthodox (autocephalous and otherwise not under the Moscow Patriarchate) who would agree with Metropolitan Hilarion when it comes to the UGCC.
I'm not too familiar with that ^^ phenomenon, so I'll refrain from commenting on it. But fwiw much of the UOC-MP animosity toward the UGCC (perhaps most of it) doesn't make very much sense to me. The way I see it, when someone joins the UGCC, you can generally figure that he/she would have been very unlikely to join the UOC-MP in any case.

Hilarion's selfrighteousness is nauseating! He hates Catholicism. Let's not pretend we don't know that.

Dear Pavloosh,

I'm just pointing out the fact that this Forum has a rule about referring to Hierarchs by their proper title

That is all.

Alex

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.