The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 344 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Perhaps a silly question - how does the host bread used by Byzantine Churches (and most others) fit into the Latin Monstrance for said procession?

G
G
Originally Posted by Michael_Thoma
Perhaps a silly question - how does the host bread used by Byzantine Churches (and most others) fit into the Latin Monstrance for said procession?

The monstrance has a "lunette" adapted to hold a piece of the cube-shaped Lamb.

E
E
Only if you subject the Holy Lamb to such manhandling as would have done the Mexican Revolutionaries proud!

G
G
I found more photos [mgce.uz.ua] from the Eparchy of Mukachevo website of a Eucharistic procession for the Feast of the Most Holy Eucharist in 2010.

Three photos in particular contain close-ups of the monstrance with the adapted lunette (you can click on each to enlarge further):
Photo One [mgce.uz.ua] , Photo Two [mgce.uz.ua] , Photo Three [mgce.uz.ua]

My concern is the amount of particles that can be generated from placing the Holy Lamb into the lunette.

Then, there is this photo [mgce.uz.ua] from a parish Eucharistic procession [mgce.uz.ua] in which the Holy Lamb appears reddish in color (moistened with the Precious Blood obviously). I am presuming the Lamb was allowed to dry previously or else it would have been a disaster to place It into the monstrance.

My concern is the amount of particles that can be generated from placing the Holy Lamb into the lunette.

Another reason to not celebrate this purely Latin feast. If one wants to go and celebrate it with the Latins, fine.

In my purely layman's opinion, we run into trouble not so much for practicing Latin devotions and celebrating Latin feasts, but from neglecting and ignoring our own. For instance when I started attending a UGCC as a teenager we never had Liturgy of the Presanctified Gifts in Great Lent. My current pastor didn't either growing up in the 50's and 60's in Pennsylvania. He said they just had "Stations of the Cross". Now, thank God we have the option of celebrating our own services as well as the resources to do it (i.e. service books in English).

Now I'd have to say that here everyone who would attend Stations also supported the Presanctified Liturgy, although some parishioners were concerned that the Presanctified Liturgy didn't focus enough on the "sufferings of Christ".

Best wishes to everyone!
Stefan-Ivan

Now I'd have to say that here everyone who would attend Stations also supported the Presanctified Liturgy, although some parishioners were concerned that the Presanctified Liturgy didn't focus enough on the "sufferings of Christ".

Another option to help with "Stations withdrawal" that I have found helpful, especially when Presanctified is not celebrated, is to celebrate the Akathist to the Passion. It is beautiful, within the tradtion and was composed by St. Innokenty of Kherson and Odessa.

B
B
Here in Košice, we have presanctified liturgies, great lent molebens, stations of the cross, Jesus prayer services, pentential canon services, public recitations of the rosary, etc. None seems to draw anything away from the others. They meld together perfectly fine.

E
E
Lent isn't about getting a jag on with the "sufferings of Christ"; it's about winning the victory over our passions!

Very nice!

The Ukrainian and Russian Orthodox love the service of the "Passia" which is served during the first four weeks of Holy Lent (either on Fridays or Sunday evenings).

It is a service that I've seen only a few UGCC parishes hold.

I had the privilege of contributing to the cost of publishing such a service for a Ukrainian Orthodox church.

Together with the Passia service, they also have the Way of the Cross which is wildly popular in western Ukraine among MANY Orthodox parishes.

This particular version that I have has 12 stations of the Cross where a large three-bar Cross is carried in procession and then a stop is made where a Gospel reading is done. After this the priest takes the Cross and blesses the people with it. The procession then resumes. Quite beautiful and Ukrainian Catholics and Orthodox have been known to join together for such a service to which they often invited their Roman Catholic neighbours.

As for the much-pilloried public recitation of the Rosary, the Orthodox nuns at Diveyevo, at St Seraphim of Sarov's directive, daily walk around the holy "Kanavka" or pathway around Diveyevo, reciting the 150 Hail Mary's of the Rule of the Theotokos. On feast-days, the Hail Mary's are sung by the nuns and all pilgrims visiting Diveyevo make the walk as well.

Little booklets indicating how the Rule/Rosary is to be said are distributed and I've given these to Russian acquaintances, together with lestovkas designed for the purpose. They have always reported that they LOVE the Rule and join with others in saying it as often as they can.

Lord save us from the "Orthodox in communion with Rome" police!

Alex

G
G
Originally Posted by Ot'ets Nastoiatel'
There are also whole eparchies in the Middle East where the feast is all but unknown.
It is my understanding that the feast is popular among Melkites in Lebanon, especially in the city of Zahle, which celebrates the feast with great solemnity.

Here is a photo of the 2012 celebration which is posted on the official website of the Melkite Greek Catholic patriarchate:

[Linked Image]

Source (in French). [pgc-lb.org]

One can see that the monstrance used is adapted to hold the Lamb. There is also the presence of clergy from various liturgical traditions, both Catholic and Orthodox.

What a joyous, festive (and ecumenical) celebration!

Thanks for posting this, Griego Amigo!

Alex

M
M
I thought today was the start of the Apostles' Fast. Is this the correct forum?

The Monday after All Saints Sunday is the beginning of the Apostles' Fast.

This is certainly the correct Forum if you are in favour of the Corpus Christi feast . . . smile

Alex

G
G
Originally Posted by Fr. Deacon Lance
The Ukrainians have it on their calendar as well, although I don't know if it is emphasized or not.
The feast--known as the Feast of the Most Holy Eucharist--continues to be celebrated in the UGCC.

I did a Google search and found mention of the feast on parish online bulletins and Facebook pages for this year (2015):

1) https://www.facebook.com/AscensionU...362/1628674694017801/?type=1&theater

2) http://www.stnicholaschurch.ca/2015/May_31_2015.pdf

3) http://sspeterandpaulucc.org/2015/0...feast-of-the-holy-eucharist-june-7-2015/

4) http://www.sacredheartucc.org/3.html

5) http://www.st-john-baptist-shrine.ca/

It's celebrated on the Sunday following the feast.

Photos of a Eucharistic processions from Ukraine:

1) http://www.pkm.if.ua/archives/7179

2) http://osbm.lutsk.ua/news/main/114/

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Administrator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.