The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 246 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Deeboy Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Father Jack has announced that he will be leaving Resurrection and St. Andrews Parishes soon but cannot say where he will be going because the Priest he is replacing in the other Parish does not know about it yet.....

Deeboy,

Do you know who is replacing Father Jack at Resurrection in Smithtown?

Thank you.

Anthony, there is no further information at this time, other than the transfer may take place as soon as mid-July.

Thank you, Joe!

D
Deeboy Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Anthony there is both a meeting and a party for Father Jack on Monday June 29 2015 at Saint Andrews Westbury/Carle Place ... unfortunately I do not know the time or if Resurrection Smithtown is doing the same .....

D
Deeboy Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Bishop Kurt visited the Resurrection at Smithtown on Sunday July 5, 2015 ..... Kurt said a former Episcopalian and now Catholic priest from England was chosen by him to replace Father Jack Custer ... Kurt continued that Father Jack will be transferred to the Main Cathedral in Passaic where Father Jack’s services are much needed ....

Deeboy,

When is the new priest arriving? Thank you.

D
Deeboy Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Sometime in August....There will be a temporary Priest until then

Fr. Jack's replacement is Fr. Tyler Strand

As mentioned he was formerly an Episcopalian priest.

A news article from 2008 regarding a then new pastoral assignment gives a fairly detailed account of his background.

New Rector joins St Paul's Healdsburg CA (2008) - Fr Tyler Strand [sonomawest.com]

Apparently he has a background and interest in theatre as well, and while in the Philippines starred as Tevye in a repertory group performance of Fiddler on the Roof.

Rep's 'Fiddler on the Roof' at Onstage - Manila (2007) [clickthecity.com]

So, we suspect he'll have a good chant voice!

Thank you for all the information Joe and Deeboy!

Last edited by Anthony; 08/01/15 09:19 AM. Reason: Autocorrect misspelled poster's namr
The facebook page for the Byzantine Catholic Church of the Resurrection in Smithtown, NY announced the following:

We will celebrate our first liturgy with Fr. Tyler on Thursday, Aug 6 at 7pm. All are welcome!

Wow. I love this statement at the end of the St Paul's article:

One of the things that attracted Fr. Strand to the church, and that he seeks to preserve is the sense of hands-on, very local, social involvement. “One of the things that I am so pleased with about St. Paul’s and I hope we never have to change, besides having our church open all day – which is a bigger deal than most people think – but also that our outreach is local. We find projects that we can do hands-on. It is important to realize we are not many people. We cannot do much. We are not going to end poverty. We’re not bring world peace or find a cure for acne. We are expected to be a loving congregation that is working on the salvation of the souls of the people that are in our charge. That’s our family and anyone who comes to us. We do that by following what Jesus says, and part of that is helping those around us. Jesus never said, “Send money far away so other people can do the ministry.” And for me, it’s part of our salvation to get involved. I mean, yes, we may help a hungry family or help an out-of-work person or do some legal representation for an immigrant, and those people are helped. But by doing it ourselves, we help to save our own souls. Because we’re doing it, and it touches us personally. And that’s why this place is special to me. We do not ship lots of money and help far away so that we don’t have to deal with the problems up-front.”

L
L
Wondering how Father Tyler is living up to your expectations?

This is Fr Tyler reporting in. Most curious that the info about me is mostly my Episcopalian past and theater experience, but so be it. Am settling in nicely as administrator of both St Andrew the Apostle in Westbury and Resurrection, Smithtown on Long Island. My preparation for this work was impossibly quick, involving however a good exposure to the Ruthenian homelands during June and July. I was (re) ordained over the weekend of July 24-26 at Our Lady of Perpetural Help in Albuquerque, which seems altogether too fast to prepare for this return to ordained ministry, but I have almost forty years of parish experience, some of it of a distinctly Eastern character. I was chaplain to the British Embassy in Moscow in the early 90's and was the first to return St Andrew's Anglican Church to religious use. I also studied for a year at Holy Cross Greek Orthodox Seminary in Brookline MA where I studied canon law, Greek, liturgy and Old Testament. The good people of Westbury and Smithtown have been very welcoming and I am feeling more at home all the time. Slava Bohu.

Bless Father,

Welcome to the Catholic Communion of Churches and may God grant you many blessed years as a priest!

I was chaplain to the British Embassy in Moscow in the early 90's and was the first to return St Andrew's Anglican Church to religious use.

Fascinating. I imagine you have some pretty interesting stories from that period.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.