The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 456 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#415431 04/01/16 07:10 AM
OP Offline
I am Russian Catholic and live in a country with no parishes of my rite. I go to Roman Catholic Mass. I read that Russian Orthodox are supposed to do special prayers before Communion the evening before and morning of... I have never done this, I only kept a longer fast. Are Russian Catholics supposed to do this too? What if you didn't - can you receive? I have permission from my Bishop to attend a Latin church and keep the Latin calendar etc. So what would be the cade with something like this? If I didn't say the prayers last night am I not allowed to receive Communion this evening at Mass? I always thought the prayers were just something devotional but are they treated the same way as the fast - necessary?

OP Offline
Sorry I mean "case". Typo. I'm trying to figure out if Russian Catholics are bound to this, and how my situation could affect this ..

Little Flower:

Christ is Risen!!

How did you determine you were Russian Catholic? Were you born and raised as one? Were you baptized in that Church? If not, why are you disrupting your faith journey with trying to live as one in isolation?

We are all called to be in relation to Jesus Christ. We are also called to be in that relation within a community. If one cannot be in community, one runs the risk of going off on all sorts of tangents. I've read that an isolated Christian is a paralyzed Christian, meaning that one's relationship with Christ cannot grow.

If you are Russian Catholic and there is no parish in your whole country, it seems that you are in that position. You have no sacramental community from which to draw strength or to contribute to. We run a three-legged race to the Kingdom. We fall and someone in the community picks us up; likewise another falls and we pick him/her up. There is no such thing as a "rugged individualist" in Christianity.

So why are you trying to live something that is impossible when you are really wasting precious time that you could be building your relationship with Christ?

Bob

OP Offline
Hello, thank you for your reply to my post. I am Russian Catholic because I was baptized Russian Orthodox and later became Catholic. I became Catholic in a Latin rite parish but according to canon law I'm Russian Catholic. I asked my Bishop about this. My Bishop is the local Latin Ordinary because Russian Catholics do not have their own hierarchy. He told me I could attend a Latin parish for Mass and gave me permission to follow the Latin calendar and fasts since I am outside of the territory of my church. I do not however see myself as living in isolation. There is no where I could go for a parish of my rite but I have found a wonderful parish that does the Tridentine Latin Mass. I attend daily Mass, have a spiritual director and I am involved in the parish. I do not feel in isolation at all, as I am with other Catholics and have permission to follow their feast days etc. Though I am not required to follow all the Eastern ways according to my Bishop, I was told I am still encouraged to, and I've been trying to learn more about the spirituality etc. In some ways my situation is confusing to me sometimes. The Russian Catholic church is very small and other Eastern rites have differences from it and from each other in practices. I follow the Eastern Communion fast (even if I follow my parish in other ways as I described), and this is the only fast I've ever done for Communion. However recently I read that Orthodox have to say certain prayers before Communion and I am wondering if that is a necessity or a devotion, and I don't understand what I should do. I have never done these prayers. I don't even know where to find them or what they are. I was afraid they are something binding like a fast before Communion. I don't understand if the Bishop gave me a dispensation for this too as it wasn't mentioned. It seems though he is ok with me following the Latin way. But since I'm encouraged to still follow the Eastern practices should I do these prayers. So I've been thinking this way and I need some information if this is something Eastern Catholics need to do before Communion, or is it more of a devotion. Anyway I hope that this thread would be more about this question than my situation, as I have described it in some detail. Thanks again .

OP Offline
I just read an article about the Orthodox practice. It seems that its encouraged to go to Confession, fast, and also fast from 1 to 3 days from animal products, and say the preparatory prayers. It talked about someone who receives Communion rarely, this could be a great help to them. But what I'm confused about, is in Eastern Catholicism, are all these things *obligatory*? Or is it just the being in a state of grace and Conmunio fast, as for the Latin rite? I have been just doing that but fasting from midnight. But I didn't say special prayers (besides my daily prayers) and I didn't fast from animal products. Is that a rule or a devotion? Can I not receive then as an Eastern Catholic? And what makes it more complicated, I go to daily Mass. Its not like I receive once a month and do all this exact preparation. The previous days Communion even helps to be more recollected. I am not against preparing but if I were to follow this rule, I would have to become vegan permanently to have daily Communion smile could someone please clarify for me about the Eastern rule about who can receive Communion and what preparation is necessary? Please I'm just looking for an answer to my question, not discussion on my situation because I already have someone helping me with that. I just want to know what the Eastern practice IS - whatever the case is with me. Thanks smile

There is some variation in Orthodox practice. If you want a strictly Russian praxis, buy the Jordanville prayerbook and use that.

Any preparation prayers are meant to focus us on Who it is we are receiving; they are means, not ends in themselves.

When I have time I use a Romanian Orthodox prayerbook that I bought in the spring of 1970. Often I just have time for the Communion Epistle (Corinthians 11:23-32) and the Communion Gospel (John 6:48-58). It's all about focus on Jesus and our relationship with Him. Another note is that we will never prepare perfectly or fully.

Jesus gives us an unconditional, free gift of Himself--one we can never prepare for, be thankful enough for, or be worthy of. But we receive Him anyway and offer our feeble thanks.

Bob

OP Offline
Thank you.. well what I'm wondering specifically is that is this like if you don't say the prayers, you can't receive - like if you haven't fasted. Or is it less strict with the prayers, more like something that is a good idea, but it's still allowed to receive if you didn't do them? Is it a "requirement" in the way that it makes the person able or unable to receive Communion? for example if I haven't fasted, then receiving Communion would be a sin. Is it like that with the prayers too?

All the prayers that the Church has collected are inspirations that the Holy Spirit has given saints in the past. They are there for our instruction and edification, as well as for help in focusing on Who we are entering into communion with. They are meant, together with fasting, to make us realize that we are not to approach our Creator and Redeemer casually and without remembering Who He is. But we are not to make any of these practices into the kind of thing that distract us from what this act is all about.

There is danger in approaching the Lord without focus. The old saying that "familiarity breeds contempt" comes to mind. I see too often in my parish the opposite. No one thinks to prepare at all because "we don't have to do that anymore." So somewhere there is a balance. I like St. Paul's Epistle because it is a bucket of cold water on that attitude and I, for one, need that. Not to prepare at all can deaden the soul and lead to the idea that this act of communion is merely a symbolic formality rather than the reality of touching and being touched by Divinity.

But I don't obsess over whether I have made enough preparation or fasted enough. I can never do enough so I do what I can do and let the Lord make up what is lacking. Jesus Christ is not the Divine Accountant Who is always looking to condemn for the slightest failure. Scripture has it that He knows our frame;He knows that we are dust. He came to free us from legalism of the sort you seem to be struggling with.

Bob

Hi Little Flower,

There are many schools of thought in the Eastern Orthodox tradition, but one of the most agreed is that if you fast (like a vegan, or just from meat depending on your age and health) EVERY Wednesday and Friday, go to confession (as much as you can, or even twice a year), and try to adhere somehow (no meat and/or dairy and/or fish) to the important fasts such as Lent and Christmas, as well as frequent prayer, then you are 'prepared' for Holy Communion.

Another very important aspect and tradition is to seek forgiveness of those around you before receiving--at the very least, forgive a distant past grievance in your soul. We are taught that we should never be angry in our souls when receiving Holy Communion.

Here is a link to the prayers to be said before (on the day of) Holy Communion (and after), as per the Orthodox church:

http://www.orthodoxprayer.org/Communion_Prayers.html

In my parish, as well as my last parish, we recite this prayer (from the above list of prayers) together as a congregation right before Holy Communion, so you need not remember to pray it before leaving the house:

I believe and confess, Lord, that You are truly the Christ, the Son of the living God, who came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the first. I also believe that this is truly Your pure Body and that this is truly Your precious Blood. Therefore, I pray to You, have mercy upon me, and forgive my transgressions, voluntary and involuntary, in word and deed, known and unknown. And make me worthy without condemnation to partake of Your pure Mysteries for the forgiveness of sins and for eternal life. Amen

How shall I, who am unworthy, enter into the splendor of Your saints? If I dare to enter into the bridal chamber, my clothing will accuse me, since it is not a wedding garment; and being bound up, I shall be cast out by the angels. In Your love, Lord, cleanse my soul and save me.

Loving Master, Lord Jesus Christ, my God, let not these holy Gifts be to my condemnation because of my unworthiness, but for the cleansing and sanctification of soul and body and the pledge of the future life and kingdom. It is good for me to cling to God and to place in Him the hope of my salvation.
Receive me today, Son of God, as a partaker of Your mystical Supper. I will not reveal Your mystery to Your adversaries. Nor will I give You a kiss as did Judas. But as the thief I confess to You: Lord, remember me in Your Kingdom.

OP Offline
Thank you! I'm just honestly trying to understand something. Just to explain my situation...
I'm just looking for a greater understanding of the Eastern tradition to prepare for Communion. I don't think I really understand it well. Maybe partially its because I'm looking for a unified "rule" - and I read a variety of ideas... Sometimes I'm not sure which would be fitting to my rite.

I attend a Latin parish (I don't have one of my rite here just to clarify) and I have a spiritual director here. He wants for me to receive Communion often and that is what I try to do. I go to daily Mass.

I have permission to follow Latin calendar and fasting but I try to follow the Eastern preparation for Communion. At first I thought its just not eating after midnight. So I did that.. But then I read its also saying some prayers... This would mean saying them every day, but I've been doing them just to still integrate something Eastern rite and follow the Communion discipline of my rite.

However, then I read that a person should fast from animal products on Wednesday and Friday. I do that anyway so all is well. But... Then I read that one should also fast from animal products from 1 to 3 days before Communion!

This is where it just gets overwhelming. Sure a person who receives Communion once a month can easily do that. But I try to receive daily! I just don't understand.

I trust my SD that daily Communion is good for me. I want to be obedient to him. I think I'd be incorrect to not receive Communion as often just to complete the 3 day fast.

I got permission to follow the Latin way in things and i do in some things and i follow the Eastern way in other things - even if voluntary... With Communion preparation i thought maybe the Church would want me to follow the Eastern tradition because the canon law SEEMS to say this particularly. Since I am still a little confused about the Communion fast, I was advised to maybe check with my chancery about that in particular. I haven't really had a chance to do that yet but I plan to.

But meanwhile, I just don't understand, what would the Eastern practice be for someone in my situation? If you were in my situation would you just receive anyway, or go vegan forever? Lol. I don't think abstaining from Communion is a good option for me based on my confessor and how it helps me.

OP Offline
Like here's an example of everything an Orthodox person would do before Communion... Its Russian Orthodox and I'm Russian Catholic so I don't know if the practice would be similar.

My difficulty is that it's basically impossible to do all that every day for daily Communion. But I try to receive as often as possible to help me spiritually and my confessor wants me to.

http://www.christthesavioursobor.com/?q=en/node/78

OP Offline
I did come across this?
Fast strictly (no meat or dairy products) for three days before partaking of Communion if we do not follow the Holy Church’s fasting guidelines otherwise (this is not to say that we should not follow the fasting rules – we should – but this provision is for those who for some reason do not or cannot follow these rules)
· Those who do follow the Holy Church’s fasting guidelines need not fast strictly for three days before partaking of Holy Communion, but they are likewise not prohibited from this pious practice
http://stvladimiraami.org/communion/confessioncommunion.shtml

This is from a ROCOR website but I guess it might be similar for Eastern rite Catholics? If this is true it would mean I don't need to worry about the fast, because I do fast on Wednesdays and Fridays and I'm permitted to fast in the Latin way anyway from my chancery. I try to do the prayers (the ones I have found anyway and I'm planning on getting a prater book from the Melkites), and I really like them. smile I can't go to Vespers because I dont have an Eastern parish and if I go to another rite for that, that still doesn't happen on.weekdays. I pray Vespers at home though from a Latin prayer book. It seems to me like this is sort of what I can do right now.. Hopefully it still fits with the Eastern practice?

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.