The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
MarianLatino, Bosconian_Jin, MissionIn, Pater Patrick, EasternChristian
5,999 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 292 guests, and 45 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,398
Posts416,768
Members5,999
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
OP Offline
P
His Beatitude Sviatoslav, Patriarch of Kyiv and Halych will consecrated the newly build temple to St. Elias the Prophet in Brampton, Saturday, October 1/16 at 10:00 a.m.

It will be live-streamed and later archived on YouTube. Please join us if you can.
Protodeacon David

Consecration of Saint Elias Church - LIVE STREAM links

saintelias.com
sainteliasconsecration.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/oleniatko/live

D
D
Dear Father Protodeacon,

I am truly happy to read about the resurrection of the precious church in Brampton! This fact proves how God cares about His people and how your community is truly a vibrant parish as well. I wish you and your people not only remain on this level, but to grow in every aspect. For Christ and His Church!

G
G
Glory to Jesus Christ!

What wonderful news!!!

Before:

After:

A beautiful testament of faith and perseverance!

G
G
Video of the consecration:

The singing is incredible!

Who would have thought that Ukraine is at war with that church?

Originally Posted by UkrCathLDN
Who would have thought that Ukraine is at war with that church?

Please explain.

B
B
Don't you get it! All we hear is war and the Ukrainians show the world their beautiful culture with this wonderful church building! Its a compliment I think.

Culture in Ukraine is far removed from diaspora Ukrainian culture in North America.

D
D
Of course it is (because of obvious reasons), but could it be called a "war"?

Do you mean that "Brampton rite" would seem a sign of Russophilism for many contemporary GCs in Ukraine? Or something else?

Yes, I find the few sentences written by UkrCathLdn to be both confusing and even offensive (or offensive because they are confusing).

Perhaps that poster could say what he means if he has something to say about the Brampton parish. I would be eager to learn about his perspective on it.

Responding to what I read on the face of it, Ukraine is definitely not "at war" with that parish (!). As for the culture of Ukraine, it is not a monolith. There are variations of all kinds, in Ukraine and throughout the Diaspora. So the culture of Bukovina in Ukraine is not the same as the culture of Galicia etc.

There are Latinizations in the spiritual culture of the Ukrainian Greco-Catholic Church in Ukraine and, given the upheaval there, the question of "Easternization" is not on its priority list. The same can be said of the independent Ukrainian Orthodox Churches, the KP and the UAOC.

St Elias Church has a great pastor in the person of Fr. Roman Galadza whose witness to the evangelizing power of the liturgical traditions of our Church (de-Latinized) has led to a very cohesive and spiritually-attuned group of committed parishioners who set a great example in this regard to the entire Ukrainian Greco-Catholic Church. The evangelical "pull" of our liturgical heritage has brought to that parish even former lackadaisical Christians who once preferred football on Sunday mornings rather than the Divine Liturgy - including non-Ukrainian parishioners.

I hope the poster in question here isn't suggesting Ukraine is at war with any of that! He should really explain himself - or else the Moderators here should ask him to apologise.

Again, it would be of benefit to know what our colleague here is trying to say - so far, he has said nothing.

Alex

The church is beautiful, yes. It cost a great deal of money. Personally, I would prefer to see the money being used on the lives in devastation in Ukraine, rather than building a fancy, new church. I do not want an argument, or thesis. This is a personal opinion. Whether a good pastor is there or not, or if they have delatinized is not the issue.

Pope Francis says. "Oh, how I wish for a Church that is poor and for the poor!”

A
A
St. Elias helps many people in Ukraine including soldiers, and they are served by one of the kindest priests I know and one of the kindest deacons I know. The money that went towards the temple was donated by parishioners for the greater glory of God. They have a right to spend money on their new church and they do many wonderful things for others all the time.

Originally Posted by UkrCathLDN
Pope Francis says. "Oh, how I wish for a Church that is poor and for the poor!”

Yes, this is an age-old issue. If we were to take it absolutely seriously, then the Vatican would have to sell all it has and give it to the poor - which wouldn't make a dent in the world poverty-level in the final analysis.

Our parishes in the West contribute very much to the UGCC in Ukraine and to Ukraine in general. I would like to see the oligarchs there contribute proportionately in the same vein, including the president.

Surely you are not a bleeding-heart liberal crying over how much money is spent on beautifying God's Houses while the money should have been given to the poor?

We have churches here which are closing and the land and buildings are being sold. So there is money, and lots of it, that can be given to help Ukraine aplenty.

But I really do believe you have shifted your original comments, which were ambiguous at best, onto something else. Either way, you've no argument. Besides, the pope said what he said while surrounded in a quite lavish Vatican context. Secular people who care not a wit about offending Rome would say much worse about anyone talking about a "church for the poor" from the Vatican palace.

Alex

I have no argument, nor did I intend to suggest one. Personal opinion that is all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.