The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Donna Zoll, Bradford Roman, Pd1989, Kim711, Tadhg Francis
5,989 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (griego catolico), 257 guests, and 43 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,392
Posts416,741
Members5,989
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Originally Posted by Slavipodvizhnik
Originally Posted by Curious Joe
"When done correctly, the spoon should not come in contact with your mouth, and thus there should be no personal health concerns."

That said, similarly to the experience of other posters, I have seen many faithful close their mouth when receiving in Divine Liturgies celebrated in our sister churches overseas. I have no idea why that might be the case.

The mere idea of "personal health concerns" in regards to the Blood and Body of Christ is repugnant to the point of being heretical.

BTW - more often than not, the concern is expressed by guests, not our own faithful. And most often by Latin Catholics, as I have both heard directly and been told by some of our pastors. Not to disparage our Latin Catholic brothers and sisters, but it is interesting to think that some who are likely accustomed to first placing the Blessed Host in their own hand would think such of our Eastern practice.

Last edited by Curious Joe; 02/15/12 09:31 PM.
Also, some context - I'm currently on Long Island, where only last year there was a well-publicized "scare", when over 100 parishioners of an RC parish in Nassau County were suspected of contracting Hepatitis A after receiving Holy Communion on Christmas Day 2010.

One only needs to do a simple Google search to find dozens of articles and even full websites devoted to the subject.

B
B
<div style="display:none">
</div>
Also, some context - I'm currently on Long Island, where only last year there was a well-publicized "scare", when over 100 parishioners of an RC parish in Nassau County were suspected of contracting Hepatitis A after receiving Holy Communion on Christmas Day 2010.

One only needs to do a simple Google search to find dozens of articles and even full websites devoted to the subject.

I did google the incident. None of the several articles that I read states that more than 100 parishioners were suspected of contracting Hepatitis A. They stated that parishioners "may have been exposed to the virus", which was apparently a concern of Health Department officials, not necessarily the faithful. They urged the more than 1300 people attending Mass on Christmas Day to be vaccinated. Apparently, one person who had touched hosts on both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day later was diagnosed with Hepatitis A. More fear mongering, if you ask me. At least one year, our local Latin Bishop gave directive that Communion was not to be given on the tongue during flu season. I don't think the current Bishop has continued that policy. I think it is so sad.

Last edited by babochka; 02/15/12 10:54 PM.
"When done correctly, the spoon should not come in contact with your mouth, and thus there should be no personal health concerns."

That said, similarly to the experience of other posters, I have seen many faithful close their mouth when receiving in Divine Liturgies celebrated in our sister churches overseas. I have no idea why that might be the case.

The mere idea of "personal health concerns" in regards to the Blood and Body of Christ is repugnant to the point of being heretical.

The concern is not with the Body and Blood of Christ but with the cup, spoon, or hand used to distribute. I myself don't worry about it but I understand those who do.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
C
C
Hence both priests and prelates must employ some shift in time of a plague to enable them to administer communion to the sick without violating this Canon; not, however, by placing the Holy Bread in currants, but in some sacred vessel, so that the dying and the sick may take it thence with tongs or the like. The vessel and the tongs are to be placed in vinegar, and the vinegar is to be poured into a funnel, or in any other manner that they can that is safer and canonical.

What is the source of such controversial notions?

It is a footnote in the Rudder on Canon 28 of the 102 Canons of the 6th Ecumenical Council. The footnotes are the work of St. Nikodemos of the Holy Mountain.

Fr. David

J
jjp Offline
J
Originally Posted by Fr. Deacon Lance
The concern is not with the Body and Blood of Christ but with the cup, spoon, or hand used to distribute. I myself don't worry about it but I understand those who do.

Exactly. I remember the priest at a church we visited letting the spoon wack against the inside of my mouth, and feeling a bit odd about it. It certainly didn't ruin anything, and I probably exposed myself to more germs 10 other ways later in the day, but still.

Sorry, but anyone who thinks they could become ill by receiving the Holy Gifts is unworthy to receive them.

J
JDC Offline
J
If indeed the Rusyns and Ukies have developed a method of reception in America as distinct from the method of European counterparts, it's a little rich to blame any squeamishness on visiting Latins.

J
JDC Offline
J
Sorry, but anyone who thinks they could become ill by receiving the Holy Gifts is unworthy to receive them.

I tend to agree. I finally quit my Latin parish when my bishop forbid any reception but in the hand during a flu outbreak.

A
A
Originally Posted by sielos ilgesys
I know a Gk. Cath. priest here in N. America who detests the practice of closing lips around the spoon, so if someone does it, he always "clacks" the spoon against their teeth. Can't say I recommend his way of handling it...

I know this an old post, but my priest does this to me all the time! I don't know why, but I can never keep my mouth open, so I always close. He gets kind of flustered and clacks it against my teeth.

It is very troubling to see men and women refusing to drink from the chalice in the Roman / Latin Rite churches. They receive the Host yet walk right by the chalice. When asked, the usual answer is that it is unsanitary. How ridiculous So in other words Jesus Christ in the Real Presence is loaded with germs and bacteria?

There are more germs on pew books or hymnals than on the spoon or lip of the chalice. I always kiss the chalice after receiving from the spoon in the byzantine Churches I attend.
Receiving on the tongue is unsanitary, not because of the body of Christ, but because the priest often touches the tongue with his hand when he does this in a Roman Catholic mass
Unless you eat of the body of our Lord Jesus Christ and DRINK his blood you shall not have life everlasting.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Administrator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.