The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 456 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#418536 09/06/18 11:02 PM
Anna Offline OP
OP Offline
I know the answer is "no," a person cannot baptize himself, but I don't know why. What is the reason?

Anna:

Christ is in our midst!!

When we are baptized, the priest incorporates us into the Church. He is already a member of the Church and delegated to be able to incorporate new members into the Body of Christ.

If one were to baptize oneself, what would one be incorporating oneself into? Seems like some sort of circular action with no reference to anyone but oneself, certainly no reference to Christ or His Saving Body, the Church.

Bob

L
L
As I recall many years ago when I was a child we were taught that there were 3 "kinds of Baptism.

Water that the most familiar one to most people

Blood you are martryed before you can be Baptised

Desire you wish to be Baptized but there is no opportunity to be Baptized

Little Green Coat:

Christ is in our midst!!

You are correct. However, none of the three do you do yourself. The first is done by the Church; the other two are works of the Holy Spirit and are not self in-corporations into the Christ--which the earlier poster asked about.

Bob

T
T
My answer is no you can not

Theophan is correct: one must possess the Spirit to transmit the Spirit, which is the act of Baptism.

ajk Offline
Originally Posted by RyanOwens
Theophan is correct: one must possess the Spirit to transmit the Spirit, which is the act of Baptism.
While Nemo dat quod non habet -- can't give what you don't have -- has its validity, it is nuanced in application:

CCC
V. WHO CAN BAPTIZE?

1256 The ordinary ministers of Baptism are the bishop and priest and, in the Latin Church, also the deacon.57 In case of necessity, anyone, even a non-baptized person, with the required intention, can baptize58 , by using the Trinitarian baptismal formula. The intention required is to will to do what the Church does when she baptizes. The Church finds the reason for this possibility in the universal saving will of God and the necessity of Baptism for salvation.59
[emphasis added]

ajk:

Christ is in our midst!!

I think you miss the point of the question. While I agree totally with the citation from the CCC, the citation assumes that the one doing the baptizing is himself already baptized and thus able to incorporate another into the Body of Christ. Baptism is not some "stand alone" act. It is initiation into Christ, into His Church, into Him. The one doing the baptizing stands in the Person of Christ Himself since it is Christ Who incorporates each of us into His Body, the Church, through one of His members--usually clergy who have been ordained to do this; or by another member in an emergency.

So the question is "Can I incorporate/invite myself into a body if I am not already part of it?" Put another way: Can I invite myself to Thanksgiving dinner at the White House just because i want to do so? (Let me know how that works next November.)

Bob

ajk Offline
Originally Posted by theophan
ajk:
Christ is in our midst!!
I think you miss the point of the question.
I did not and am not addressing the question " Can You Baptize Yourself?" but the quote explicitly given:
Specifically:
... one must possess the Spirit to transmit the Spirit,...

While I agree totally with the citation from the CCC, the citation assumes that the one doing the baptizing is himself already baptized
Actually, just the opposite:
V. WHO CAN BAPTIZE?

1256 The ordinary ministers of Baptism are the bishop and priest and, in the Latin Church, also the deacon.57 In case of necessity, anyone, even a non-baptized person, with the required intention, can baptize58 , by using the Trinitarian baptismal formula. The intention required is to will to do what the Church does when she baptizes. The Church finds the reason for this possibility in the universal saving will of God and the necessity of Baptism for salvation.59
[emphasis added]

Specifically:
... In case of necessity, anyone, even a non-baptized person, with the required intention, can baptize...
[emphasis added]

Put another way: Can I invite myself to Thanksgiving dinner at the White House just because i want to do so? (Let me know how that works next November.)
No need to wait until November, it's a poor analogy for baptism. And actually, regarding inviting, since we no longer enforce the Disciplina arcanii, anyone can attend the Eucharist-Divine Liturgy-Mass, uninvited (save by God's grace) to a thanksgiving (eucharistic) meal.

Very shortly we will make our annual visit to the pool of Bethsaida.

I have long believed, taught, and confessed that we are as incapable of self-absolution (and Baptism is the ultimate absolution) as the Paralytic was incapable of self-locomotion.

Christ is Risen!!

Following the situation in Ukraine where a group that has been labeled "self ordained" (and not wishing by any means to enter that argument), I believe that if one can self baptize, then one can certainly self ordain. And we all know what arguments that raises.

Bob

Moderated by  Alice, Fr. Deacon Lance, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.