The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (Filipe YTOL, 1 invisible), 388 guests, and 51 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,394
Posts416,750
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
Online Content
G
There are variations of the Fatimskaya icon.

Here is one from www.stmichaelruscath.org/outbound/incommunion/poland.htm [stmichaelruscath.org]

[Linked Image]

There is another variant that is commercially available from the 101 Foundation:

[Linked Image]

You can order it here: www.101foundation.com/item474.html [101foundation.com]

A group of Catholic pilgrims to Moscow presented a copy of the above icon to a Russian Orthodox bishop at the Epiphany Patriarchal Cathedral in Moscow. You can read about that in the book, Finally, Russia!, also available from the 101 Foundation.

F
OP Online Content
F
Hello!
Great to finally have some news of the origins of the Icon.
Griego, I am so sorry that I didn't receive your PM a few days earlier as I went to visit the Chapel last Wednsday, and I don't go that often. I am pretty sure, however, that I have some more photographs somewhere of the interior of the chapel, I'll try to locate them and share them on this topic.
Since I opened this topic I grew tired of waiting and finally printed out a copy of the Icon and took it to some Dominican Nuns in Lisbon who make reproductions of Icons. They made it for me and it came out very well. I had it made to give some friends, since it worked out so well I am now going to order some more for myself and other friends.
Griego, the high resolution image I have is really very large. I believe it's about 17mb. I have it on a CD at home, I'll confirm and let you know. If I don't get back to you next week then remind me. I don't think it would be easy to mail, but maybe we could try some other way.
Filipe

G
Online Content
G
Yes, yes, I know, I know, I have resuscitated an 8-year-old thread! shocked grin

8 years ago, I wrote the following:

Here is more info about the icon from the booklet, Welcome to the Byzantine-Russian Catholic Chapel in Fatima, written by the late Mitred Archimandrite John Mowatt, former rector of the Byzantine Chapel at Fatima:

"This particualr icon is of an ancient Russian source and in copying the icon the artist just added the figures of the three Seers, Lucia, Francisco, and Jacinta. It is interesting to note here that the Russian Church already had an icon of the Most Holy Virgin Mary, clothed in white, and appearing on top of a tree as she radiated and drew the peoples of the world towards her. This is more than just a mere coincidence as, generally speaking, most Russian and other Byzantine icons of Our Lady always portray her as holding the Divine Child."

Recently in looking through this online directory of icons [pravicon.com], I came across this icon:

[Linked Image]
It certainly seems to match Fr. Mowatt's description of the icon that served as the basis for the Fatimskaya.

Video. [youtube.com]

Description of the icon. [pravicon.com]

The icon is also painted on the sanctuary wall of the church. [alblago.lg.ua] :

The description in Russian, if I may give my translation, says that the spot where the Mother of God appeared is in Kiselev in Luhansk (where my mother's family heralds from).

Two hundred years ago there was a small grove of five oak trees through which a miracle-working stream passed and a blind boy was cured there.

In 1924, pilgrims came to the spot again where only the stump of one of the oak trees remained. There they prayed and miracles occurred. Daily, more than two thousand pilgrims came there to sing canons and akathists to the Mother of God.

In 1979, an image of the Cross appeared there on the stump beside an icon of Christ. It is said that the Mother of God herself protects the spot.

Alex

D
DMD Offline
D
Sad to say they do not in the US and in Slovakia. It may be weird along the Slovak Ukraine border where the Rusyn eparchies were split from each other after the war.Not all Slovak Greek Catholics in Slovakia are on the western Paschalion though. The local BCC pastor used to serve a village in Slovakia with two Greek Catholic parishes, one all Gregorian calendar, the other all Julian calender including the Orthodox Paschalon. This year the current priest in that village would have started the Triodon in early January and will celebrate Pentecost this Sunday - nearly six months!

D
DMD Offline
D
^ The Android gods apparently apparently sent this post to the wrong thread. Sorry.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
D
DMD Offline
D
An interesting piece along with an interesting effort to.make some mutually acceptable peace out of Fatima. Sadly, I will argue that the effort was in vain as the harsh ideologues of Roman Catholicism and Orthodoxy have created their own immutable charicatures and versions of Fatima for their own purposes. The sincere and spiritual efforts of the priest and iconographer are valiant, but perhaps they should collaborate on a less divisive concept in the same spirit?

L
L
Originally Posted by griego catolico
Yes, yes, I know, I know, I have resuscitated an 8-year-old thread! shocked grin

Recently in looking through this online directory of icons [pravicon.com], I came across this icon:

It certainly seems to match Fr. Mowatt's description of the icon that served as the basis for the Fatimskaya.

Video. [youtube.com]

Description of the icon. [pravicon.com]

The icon is also painted on the sanctuary wall of the church. [alblago.lg.ua] :

Interesting. smile

I haven't seen any similar to the one which was in our garden shrine [facebook.com] in the old location, and now is in the hall [facebook.com] near our agape room.

The one fashioned as in your description here, is now in a small room [facebook.com] used for spiritual direction and reconciliation. I have an 8.5" X 11" print of it which is from the old Russian program at Fordham. The text on the back is in Russian. I'll scan the text and post it in the photos section.

G
Online Content
G
Originally Posted by likethethief
I have an 8.5" X 11" print of it which is from the old Russian program at Fordham. The text on the back is in Russian. I'll scan the text and post it in the photos section.
I look forward to seeing it. Any possibility of having an English translation along with it?

E
E
I would be curious to know if anyone has the high res image of the original icon which Filipe posted which began this thread.

Thanks!

G
Online Content
G
Just discovered this spectacular icon of Our Lady of Fátima: http://www.kathpedia.com/images/b/b0/Mulier_amicta_sole.jpg

Oh my God - Greigo Amigo, you deserve an award or something for this find!!

Thank you!!

Alex

G
Online Content
G
Originally Posted by Amadeus
Dear Filipe:

Can you give us a brief sketch on the origins of the Icon of Our Lady of Fatima?

Was the writer an Eastern or Western iconographer?

Thanks.

Amado
Fourteen years ago, I wrote the following:

As to the origins of the Fatimskaya icon, here is what I have collected from personal research:

"The titilar eikon of the center, Our Lady of Fatima, is a contemporary work, executed in Paris according to the classic canons of Russian eikon painting, that is to say, applying egg tempura to a carefully prepared wood surface. Our Lady appearing to the three children in the elongated hieratic form associated with high Russian iconographic art." - "The Russian Catholic Center in San Francisco, California", Eastern Churches Quarterly

So, according to the article, the icon was written in Paris according to the traditional manner.

Here is more info about the icon from the booklet, Welcome to the Byzantine-Russian Catholic Chapel in Fatima, written by the late Mitred Archimandrite John Mowatt, former rector of the Byzantine Chapel at Fatima:

"This particualr icon is of an ancient Russian source and in copying the icon the artist just added the figures of the three Seers, Lucia, Francisco, and Jacinta. It is interesting to note here that the Russian Church already had an icon of the Most Holy Virgin Mary, clothed in white, and appearing on top of a tree as she radiated and drew the peoples of the world towards her. This is more than just a mere coincidence as, generally speaking, most Russian and other Byzantine icons of Our Lady always portray her as holding the Divine Child."
Now, fourteen years later, I finally discovered that it was George Morozoff of Paris, who painted the icon in 1950.

Этот образ Богоматери написан русским иконописцем Георгием Морозовым в 1950 г. Фатимские пастушки изображены в нижнем левом углу, а в правом – люди, с удивлением наблюдающие «пляску солнца».
Над ними – паломники, испрашивающие заступничества Пречистой Девы.
Source. [fatima1917.ru]
He is the same iconographer who painted the magnificent iconostasis of the Byzantine Chapel of the Dormition in Fátima.

F
F
I have been trying to find this icon. It was written by the Russian exiles in Europe approximately 1950- 1953. The icon was a gift to the Blue Army of Our Lady of Fatima, USA. It was to be in the Byzantine Chapel in Domis Pacis in Fatima, Portugal.
Domis Pacis was finished around 1956. The icon was never placed in the Byzantine Chapel. My research has shown the icon to be in the Russian Studies Department in Fordham Univeristy.
If you can help I would appreciate it very much.
my email is: ihm51@neo.rr.com

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.