The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 456 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#421236 07/02/21 05:15 PM
F
OP Offline
F
Hello all!
Am I the only one to find it odd that the Armenian Catholic Synod is taking so long to pick a new Patriarch?
Any ideas why this might be so?
I have read that if they can't decide themselves, Rome can step in and choose somebody for them. Any case in which that has happened in recent years?

All the best!
Filipe

G
G
You're not alone.

I, too, have been wondering why it is taking so long.

There was hope that he would have been elected before yesterday's World Day of Prayer and Reflection for Lebanon.

Bzommar (Agenzia Fides) - On the morning of Wednesday, June 23, the Synod of Bishops of the Armenian Catholic Church, called to elect the successor of the Armenian Catholic Patriarch Krikor Bedros XX Ghabroyan, who died of illness on May 25 at the age of 86, begins. The synodal assembly takes place at the Convent of Our Lady of Bzommar, which houses the Armenian-Catholic patriarchal seat.
The elective Synodal Assembly was convened by Boutros Marayati, Armenian Catholic Archbishop of Aleppo, who on May 26 was appointed Administrator of the Patriarchal Church of Cilicia of the Armenians, as the most senior prelate by ordination, according to the provisions of Article 127 of the Code of Canons of the Eastern Catholic Churches. In this capacity, the main task of Archbishop Marayati was precisely to convene the Synod of the Armenian Catholic Church in order to elect the new Patriarch. 12 members of the Synod of the Armenian Catholic Church take part in the elective assembly, who come from the episcopal see throughout the Middle East and in the countries with the greatest concentration of the Armenian diaspora. The new Armenian Catholic Patriarch, once elected, will take part in the meeting convened in Rome on July 1 by Pope Francis to reflect together with the main leaders of the Lebanese Christian communities on the worrying situation in Lebanon. (GV) (Agenzia Fides, 23/6/2021)

That didn't happen.

I've checked social media and can't find any updates. This is the only video I could find on the synod: link. [facebook.com]

At the end of the video, the bishops are seen taking a vote.

U
U
Is it possible that there is some movement toward unity with the Armenian Apostolic Church in the works? Rome seems to have a very cordial relationship with them. They were very much present at the July 1 gathering.

F
OP Offline
F
That's an interesting theory. We'll see.
Meanwhile, tomorrow marks the end of the second week of the synod and, according to Canon Law, Rome can step in and decide for them.

Last time this happened (Chaldeans), the Pope had the Synod come to Rome and the Synod came to a final vote there.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
F
OP Offline
F
Well, according to their website they have been unable to reach a conclusion, and will try again in a fortnight.

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Originally Posted by Utroque
Is it possible that there is some movement toward unity with the Armenian Apostolic Church in the works? Rome seems to have a very cordial relationship with them. They were very much present at the July 1 gathering.

I would very much hesitate to ascribe any hint of a resumption of communion to the cordiality observed. Relations between Rome and the Armenian Apostolic Church, particularly with those holding the office of Catholicos of All Armenia, have been cordial for most of several centuries.

However, the relationship between Rome and the Catholicosate of the Great House of Cilicia has not always been as strong.

You will almost invariably find the Armenian Church well represented at any ecumenical services or gatherings in Rome. Albeit that there are excellent relations between Rome and several of the Oriental Orthodox Churches, the relationship with the Armenians is probably the strongest.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
U
U
Originally Posted by Irish Melkite
However, the relationship between Rome and the Catholicosate of the Great House of Cilicia has not always been as strong.

Many years,

Neil

I'm always optimistic when I see bonding; be it east or west. Catholicos Aram I was right at Papa Francesco's side on July 1!

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.