The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 284 guests, and 71 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
N
NOVAByz Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Does anyone know where (or whom) I could contact to try to find some one Ruthenian recenssion Slavonic books/Lvov era books? Or a hard copy, bound version of Bulgakov's
Настольной книги для священно-церковно-служителей?

Any help would be appreciated (and any old Slavonic books would be appreciated too - I'm not looking for any specific one, but I like to see what is out there and, ultimately, save these books from ending up in a trash heap).

J
JLF Offline
J
Eastern Christian Publications has scanned and reproduced the entire Ruthenian Recension series of books published by the Vatican from the 1940s to 1970s. They are available here:

http://ecpubs.com/product-category/historical-reprints/

Jack Figel
Publisher

B
B
I'm not sure what you mean by "Lvov era", exactly, but I just saw a copy of the Zhovkva Vecernya i Utrenya book at a local library sale. Send me a private message if you're interested, or can give me a want list.

Deacon Jeffrey Mierzejewski

N
NOVAByz Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Thank you very much for the information. My use of "L'vov era" is not a precise term, so I should have elaborated. I generally use that to refer to Slavonic books that were published before the Ruthenian Recession (particularly in L'Vov, Žovka, etc.). I'm particularly interested in trying to locate a copy of the Dolnitski Typikon.

Will an e-version suffice? Типік церкви русско-католическія, Львов 1899 [drive.google.com]

This page [plc-ugcc.blogspot.co.uk] has official texts of the UGCC, some which pre-date the Recensione Rutena publications.

N
NOVAByz Offline OP
OP Offline
N
I know I'm being repetitive of my original post, but since it has been a few years, I thought I would follow up. Does anyone know where (or from whom) I can find Old Slavonic books that need a good home? I love collecting, reading, and comparing Old Slavonic texts from different eras. I'd greatly appreciate any leads!

ajk Offline
Possibly:
Sources for Galician Chant In Church Slavonic [ugccmusic.com]
Prostopinije [puluka.com]
Library of Congress Church Slavonic [loc.gov]

I have pdfs of the Makita Typikon and 1921 GCU Psalter that can be provide.

ps It just registered, you want hard copy books.

Last edited by ajk; 02/11/22 02:03 PM.
Christ is in our midst!!

Do the Eastern Catholic Churches follow the Latin practice of burning old liturgical books when a new edition is promulgated?

I helped my assistant pastor burn a group of Latin liturgical books in 1968 and witnessed the burning of our books at my current parish a few years ago when the Third Typical Edition of the Roman Missal was mandated.

Bob

ajk Offline
Originally Posted by theophan
Christ is in our midst!!

Do the Eastern Catholic Churches follow the Latin practice of burning old liturgical books when a new edition is promulgated?

I helped my assistant pastor burn a group of Latin liturgical books in 1968 and witnessed the burning of our books at my current parish a few years ago whent he Third Typical Edition of the Roman Missal was mandated.

Bob
I've never heard of this. It sounds hideous.

N
NOVAByz Offline OP
OP Offline
N
I've never heard of that practice, either. Unfortunately though, sometimes when churches close down the Old Slavonic books are disposed of or boxed away and never touched again. And younger people who lose older relatives may come across such books, not know what they are, and get rid of them. That's why I've made it a mission of sorts to track down and preserve as many of these books as I can.

The website abebooks.com often has CS books available. I think I got my second copy of the GCU psalter from there. Also, ebay has stuff from time to time.

N
NOVAByz Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Thank you, akemner. I haven't given abebooks.com a try yet. I have had a lot of success on ebay; I recently found a L'vov Psalter and about a year ago bought a collection consisting of most of the Ruthenian Recension.

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.