The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (Filipe YTOL, 1 invisible), 388 guests, and 51 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,394
Posts416,750
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#422756 09/26/22 12:53 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of some good books for kids that explain the Divine Liturgy. There are zillions of illustrated children’s missals available for the Latin Rite and I’m curious to find such a thing for the Divine Liturgy. Anyone know of anything?

Ideally, they’d have the details the Latin Rite books do in that there is a picture of the priest and a simple explanation of what he is doing at any point in the Liturgy.

H
H
Chooch Factor, welcome to the Byzantine Rite....

I taught cathechism for many years in our Ukrainian Catholic parish. By far, the best sourse I used concerning the Divine Liturgy was the book/ workbook called:

"Liturgical Catechism on the Sacrifice of the Divine Liturgy"

Put out by the - Byzantine- Slavonic Rite Catholic Exarchate of Pittsburgh

I found a copy on the "Goodreads" website for you to see........

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show...m-on-the-sacrifice-of-the-divine-liturgy

It is somewhat dated now, and may be out of print, but I still see it come up for sale on Ebay and used book sites.
It contains a few illustrations, it's in English with some Slavonic terms defined in English, a short explanation of each part of the Liturgy, and study guide questions. The preface also includes explanations about Eastern church architecture, the icon screen, vestments, etc.

It is probably geared to junior and senior high students, but I am sure that even younger people would benefit from it with parental assistance.

The book is excellent and should be required reading by older parishioners too...lol...

Hope this is helpful.

C
OP Offline
C
Thank you for the recommendation. I actually have a copy already (our parish “gift shop”/bookstore is well stocked). I agree that it is a great resource for older kids and adults. Any recommendations for younger children?

H
H
Not at the moment, sorry. Most of my religious teaching experience was with teens.
But, good luck to you, I am sure what you need is out there somewhere...........

N
N
There's a book called Guardian Angel Prayer Book. According to its introduction page, it is designed for kids ages 5 through 9. You can get a copy ($17.00) from Byzantine Church Supplies in Philadelphia: https://byzantinechurchsupplies.com/product/guardian-angel-prayer-book/.

There's another great book that I had as a kid but can't remember the title for the life of me. I'll go through my books to see if I can find it.

NOVAByz #422828 10/20/22 03:01 AM
C
OP Offline
C
Thank you for the recommendation! There seem to be some other good books for children available here, too.

Hi there!

I can't personally vouch for this, as I haven't read it, but this is one I was looking at online recently: https://byzantinechurchsupplies.com/product/a-childs-guide-to-the-divine-liturgy/

R
R
I used to have "a child's guide to the divine Liturgy" and it was so so. It has nice pics but it's small and doesn't really explain anything and it's very expensive (at when I bought it). It's more like paintings of people going to liturgy and participating in Liturgy with a few snippets of the text from the liturgy or the prayers. Very light on theology and explanation.

I almost think you might do best to just buy the Sunday school curriculum from God with us publications.

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.