The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 383 guests, and 41 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
HEY!!! I enjoy my Saturday nights. I resemble that comment!! If the RC's can have a noon mass, why can't we??? Oh I forgot, nobody over 50 in the EC church sleeps past 5:30 A.M. Go figure!!! The hungover coalminers still packed the churches... Gee most parishes had three liturgies then.. Does God judge us by what time we go to church???

Incogneats,

But this Church IS privately owned. The private ownership IS the problem. I don't understand your post in light of this situation.

CDL

I
I
I'm not sure that I understand either the topic under discussion or the terms of that discussion!

Incognitus

B
OP Offline
B
Does anyone else remember seeing that wierd movie which used the cathedral building as the scene for the castle of the evil villian?

M
M
<Several parishioners said the feud revolves mainly around who should get title to the contentious 50 acres. That piece of property is slated for mixed commercial-residential development as part of the new subdivision, according to T.J. Cieciura, of Design Planning Services, overall planners of the Cathedraltown project. He said the developers were Cathedral Town Ltd., 404 Developments Inc. and Slovak Greek Catholic Church Foundation.>

I think the real issue is the 50 acres. The Roman family is facing serious financial problems and wants to develope the land as real estate rather than the school, serniors' home etc envisioned by their father.

M
M
Project radiates European flavour
By DIANE TIERNEY

Friday, March 12, 2004, Page G12

Cathedraltown could well become a Canadian landmark. The European-inspired community of about 2,000 residences encircles the Cathedral of the Transfiguration, whose three majestic gold towers rise above Woodbine Avenue.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/

I have just completed a search on the newspaper web site and have noticed there was an article about the housing development on March 2004 which was 2 years ago. Why did the eparchy keep silent for so long?

J
J
There are probably a few reasons why this parish church is closing:

First, the younger generation of the Roman family is not committed to the cause of the Greek Catholic faith or their Ruthenian roots. In fact they had completely abandoned their Ruthenian identity first for a Slovak one then Canadian. It seems that the Romans have become 100% Canadians (no more hyphenated Canadians) who are not interested in using more of their inheritance to complete the church. Who knows - they may turn the church into condos and make a bundle frown

Second, the problem is compounded by the fact that the few young Greek-Catholic immigrants arriving from Slovakia today have been so assimilated that they don't even bother with the Byzantine churches when they arrive � they go straight to the Roman Catholic Churches. Those Ruthenians today arriving from the Zakarpatska Oblast of Ukraine attend the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church. Basically what you have left in Cathedraltown are a lot of graying Greek Catholic folk �whose families came from Slovakia and may or many not be Slovak or Ruthenian�. Same is true in many other Greek-Catholic churches except where lots of new immigrants have arrived in recent years.

Third, the above demographics, the relative economic strata of these groups, and the high costs of the new luxurious homes means few parishioners live in the area. The older ones live far away in the less affluent ghettoes and the new arrivals � do not have the money to buy a home in the are even if they had (and they don�t) the ethnic affinity to join the parish.

There are few cards to play, and most definitely no aces in the bishop�s hand. He�s a good bishop who deserves better.

I.F.

PS: Here is some additional information about the parish church

http://www.uer.ca/locations/viewgal.asp?locid=22738&galid=14801

http://www.home.iprimus.ca/~ijv7/KatedralaVelkaNoc2006.htm

http://home.cogeco.ca/%7eslovo4/index/cath.html

A
AMM Offline
A
So what will happen to this building?

Andrew

Dr. Eric --

Latinized.

Well, not from the outside, but the picture of the Merciful Heart of Jesus is very Latin. It's really a strange mixture of East and West inside, isn't it? No Iconostasis, but icons. Latin Jesus pictures. One wonders what the Liturgy sounded like.

But...............

BEAUTIFUL????

Oh yeah!!!

That is one beautiful cathedral from the outside.

Brother Ed

Latin Albs and Byzantine Stikars worn at the same time or Latin Albs on servers are a bit sad. Nice building but it is very dated and seems to fall into the void between the heavily Latinised perios and the now. I see the bishop is into phoney omophorions. Nice but very yesterdays RC.

As an example, Bubba, Billy Bob and Clem "own" the local church. They decide that Sunday mornings are a bad time for services, because it cuts down on the amount of beer they can drink Saturday night. So they decide that "their" church will have liturgy at 5:00 in the afternoon, to give them time to sleep it off. You can see where I'm going with this. It is my understanding that this was a big problem in the 40's and 50's amongst the coal patch Orthodox Churches in Pennsylvania. I have heard of a congregation owned church that hired the local Methodost Minister to act as a deacon because he sang better than the priest who had throat cancer!

Alexandr, who actually trusts his bishop! wink [/QB]
Just where did you dig this up from? Sounds like some Orthobashing here.

Administrator
Administrator
Originally posted by JoeS:
As an example, Bubba, Billy Bob and Clem "own" the local church. They decide that Sunday mornings are a bad time for services, because it cuts down on the amount of beer they can drink Saturday night. So they decide that "their" church will have liturgy at 5:00 in the afternoon, to give them time to sleep it off. You can see where I'm going with this. It is my understanding that this was a big problem in the 40's and 50's amongst the coal patch Orthodox Churches in Pennsylvania. I have heard of a congregation owned church that hired the local Methodost Minister to act as a deacon because he sang better than the priest who had throat cancer!

Alexandr, who actually trusts his bishop! wink
Just where did you dig this up from? Sounds like some Orthobashing here.
JoeS,

You may want to check the original poster's profile before you accuse him of "Orthobashing".

In IC XC,
Father Anthony+
Administrator

Everyone baptized into Christ should pass progressively through all the stages of Christ's own life, for in baptism he receives the power so to progress, and through the commandments he can discover and learn how to accomplish such progression. - Saint Gregory of Sinai
Anybody know if this situation has been resolved?
What a terrible waste of a potentialy fine house of worship.

Manoli

A
AMM Offline
A
https://www.byzcath.org/bboard/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=002903

J
J
Originally posted by Miller:
I think the following story about the Roman family finances may play a role in this issue.

C B C . C A N e w s - F u l l S t o r y :

Roman Corp. seeks creditor protection, shares plummet 93%
Last Updated Tue, 31 Jan 2006 16:25:13 EST
CBC News
Shares of paperboard producer Roman Corp. Ltd. plunged by more than 93 per cent Tuesday after the company announced it had applied for protection from creditors while it restructures its operations.
Shares fell to 3 cents, down 44 cents from the previous day's close. They had traded as high as $6 as recently as July 2005.
"These restructuring measures are required because of industry-wide problems affecting the North American paperboard and packaging industries which have negatively impacted our profitability," CEO Helen Roman-Barber said in a release.
"Working with our lenders, we intend to implement a plan of restructuring that will be the foundation of a reorganized and profitable business," she said. "Roman expects that the reorganization will involve a sale of the reorganized business."
"It is not expected that there will be any value for the equity holders in this process," Roman-Barber said.
The company said it had been hurt by the rise in value of the Canadian dollar against the U.S. dollar, while a number of commodity price increases, most significantly energy costs, also served to depress margins.
In November, Roman Corp. (TSX:RMN) reported a third-quarter loss of $3.19 million on revenue of $27 million after losing $1.46 million on revenue of $28 million in the same period a year earlier.
Copyright �2006 Canadian Broadcasting Corporation - All Rights Reserved

http://www.cbc.ca/story/business/national/2006/01/31/roman-060131.html?print
Follow the money.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.