The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (NathanJA), 395 guests, and 36 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Dont forget that the label Roman Catholic is not a Catholic label of choice but one imposed in recent centuries on Catholics from the Protestant world.

We Byzantines can sometimes forget the our own Liturgy was also a product of the Roman Empire. The other Roman See exists still and people are called Romans in places along the eastern Mediterainian and people in places like Turkey and Syria describe them selves as Romans to this day.

ICXC
NIKA

I
I
Maybe it would be fun to revive the Roman Liturgy in Church-Slavonic (which only came to an end with Vatican II), just for those who insist we can't be Catholic!

Incognitus

T
T
Originally posted by incognitus:
Maybe it would be fun to revive the Roman Liturgy in Church-Slavonic (which only came to an end with Vatican II), just for those who insist we can't be Catholic!

Incognitus
Excellent! smile

And to really prove we're really Catholic, we can celebrate Divine Liturgy in Latin! wink

E
E
OOOOH

Now, how does one get one's hands on a copy of the Glagolitic Mass - either in Latin or Cyrillic letters?

Dear Friends,

Oh, land o' Goshen . . . Here we go with the Glagolithic again.

Incognitus, you are a troublemaker! smile

Alex

Has anyone actually attended a Latin Divine Liturgy, or a Church-Slavonic R.C. Mass?

Nick

Ed, I have a pew book with very small print, printed in Zagreb in Latin letters. You can still get them in Croatia in used Catholic bookstores, etc.
FDD

E
E
FDD,

YOU ARE THE COOLEST.

Any chance of scans of the text? =)

M
M
Late addition to this thread:

Sorry I came off snide Carole. I didn't intend to when I wrote the response.

But returning to the meat of your question, the Byzantine Catholics are "Catholic" because of their union with Rome; not necessarily because of any dogmae or theological similarities.

All that said, there is no difference on major dogma to my knowledge which would prevent their union; so your assumption is correct as far as I understand. [I hope that's consistent with the rest of this thread!]

Originally posted by Carole:
No need to be snide.

As I said I understand that on dogmatic issues there can be no deviation. However, there could well be matters of theological opinion where the East and the West have differing opinions/definitions.

I shall assume then that there are none.

Thank you,

Carole [/QB]

C
C
Hi, for those of us that are more plain and simple and not too much into theology and sophisticated vocabulary, specially if like in my case, English is my second language. biggrin Tell your friend to read the book; "ORIENTALE LUMEN (The Light Of The East)". http://www.ewtn.com/library/papaldoc/jp2light.htm

If the Catholic eastern churches were not in communion with the Pope, he would not be telling the church about them. As a matter of fact, JP II invites us in his book to get to know the other rites because all of these rites are what our UNIVERSAL church is all about. I recommend to you and your friend to study a little bit more church history, it helped me and my brother a lot in understanding how amazing and universal our church really is. Also, print out this page from EWTN, it will give her a better understanding of the rites. wink http://www.ewtn.com/expert/answers/catholic_rites_and_churches.htm

God Bless.

Iliana Guadalupe

T
T
Originally posted by Two Lungs:
[QUOTE]
And to really prove we're really Catholic, we can celebrate Divine Liturgy in Latin! wink
Now I would pay to see that! biggrin

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Irish Melkite 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.