The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (Filipe YTOL, 1 invisible), 388 guests, and 51 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,394
Posts416,750
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
I have had an exchange of e-mails with Archdeacon John, inviting him to join us here. He hasn't yet indicated whether he'll accept the invite; I'll let you know. He did point out to me though that the Society of Our Lady of Grace will celebrate its centenary this year.

Those who want to convey congratulatory messages to the Society could either e-mail the Archdeacon at

Italogreek@aol.com

or

Byzantineologs@hotmail.com

or write them in the guestbook on their website:

Our Lady of Grace Society Guestbook [htmlgear.tripod.com]

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
A
A
Dear Brethren,

The following monograph deals very extensively with the suppression of the Italo-Greek Rite in a particular part of Italy, the southern tip of Puglia known as Salento.

I don't believe that the work is available in English; only Italian.

"La Fine del Rito Greco in Terra d'Otranto" by Giuseppe Lisi published in 1988 in Brindisi by Amici della "A. DeLeo."

An excellent work that shows the deliberate insertion of Latin "biritualist" priests into the Byzantine Rite parishes, the start of Latin Rite worship in those parishes, and the eventual suppression of the Byzantine Rite by replacing them with monoritualist Latin Rite priests.

It also sheds light on the ongoing view by Rome, throughout the 1500s for sure, of the Constantinoploitan Church as "a sister Church" fully in communion with Rome.

I'll try to translate and post an excerpt or two in the coming days.

In Christ,
Andrew

C
C
For all the Italo-Greeks out there, can someone write down the following words in greek? I want to make sure that I say the correct word and not something else. biggrin

Grant it our Lord
Lord Have Mercy

Thank you

I
I
Paraschou, Kyrie
Kyrie, Eleison

Evkharisto!

Dear Neil,

FYI, I contacted the Cathedral, thanks to your link, and they do offer a number of Akathists to Italian saints at five bucks a pop! smile

God bless, Irishman!

p.s. How do you celebrate St Patrick's Day? How could it be celebrated in the Byzantine liturgical tradition (including the blessing of the shamrock)? We have a number of Irish in our parish and I'm pushing to have a special celebration of St Paddy's Day!

Alex

C
C
Originally posted by incognitus:
Paraschou, Kyrie
Kyrie, Eleison

Evkharisto!
Muchas evkharisto

I
I
Poli kala!

Alex, make a green kolyva with a shamrock in the middle instead of a cross, have the priest bless it, and have him over for a porter or two... smile

My sons and I will be playing Irish music after the St. Patrick's day parade this year - you are most welcome and the pints are on me. wink

I
I
forget the porter and the shamrocks - make it Irish single malt!

T
T
Just don't be bringing Guinness around Our Lady of Wisdom.

Archimandrite Vivona visited Ireland many years back, and had a few pints of real Irish Guinness (not the stuff they water down for export to the U.S.)

Apparently it hit him like a ton of bricks, and he felt like kopros the next day. Now he won't go near the stuff...

(Fr. Francis has about a zillion stories, but only two of them are alcohol related. Pot luck dinners at OLOW are a real treat, because we get to hear Pappas tell his stories. The best ones have his mother in them.)

I like St. Gregory of Nyssa. He's silly.
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Thea,

Welcome to the forum. We've been in need of representation from our Italo-Greek-Albanian Sister Church. (I've been trying to convince ArchDeacon John from Our Lady of Grace to join us here, but without success so far.)

I'm with Archimandrite Francis on the Guinness; IMHO (hmm, has there ever been an Irishman with a humble opinion :rolleyes: ?), it would best be used as crankcase oil wink .

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
Neil,

I'll pretend I didn't read your blasphemy of the venerable Irish brew I dearly love. wink

Fr. Deacon Lance

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Dear Deacon Lance,

If you can take Guinness, then you truly ARE a much better man than I!

Alex

T
T
I'm quite fond of Guinness myself, though I've only had the American version. I love that thing it does with the rings of foam rising to the top of the glass...

I like St. Gregory of Nyssa. He's silly.
I think I will vest in green on St. Patrick's day and stand on the bar and pronounce anathemas on anyone who refuses libation from Guiness, Beamish.... (for what that's worth). smile

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Irish Melkite 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.