The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (Filipe YTOL, 1 invisible), 388 guests, and 51 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,394
Posts416,750
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Dear Doctor John the Deacon,

Yes, indeed - Muslims often attend Marian feasts with the Copts and Ethiopians in Africa, and in other places where there are her miraculous shrines.

And they experience miracles through her intercession as well.

When Our Lady appeared at Zeitoun in Egypt in the late sixties, Muslims rolled out their expensive prayer rugs onto the sandy streets of Cairo and greeted the apparitions very devoutly (at least this is what I've read and heard from one of our parish priests who interviewed people there for a booklet he wrote on the apparitions - I have to be careful about sourcing things, Neil could be reading you know smile ).

And Muhammad did defend the Virgin Mary against the calumnies of the Jews of his day etc.

Archbishop Fulton Sheen once commented on this in a book of his that I read during a retreat with the Trappists of Oka in Quebec.

He said that he believed the Muslim devotion to Mary will eventually lead them to reassess their views of Christian doctrine.

All things are possible with God!

Alex

L
L
Apparently I didn't look at this more closely. Interestingly though, the grandfather of St Joseph is given as Matthan in St Matthew, and in St Luke as Matthat, just one letter different, so I wonder if it's the same guy. Here's what the Catholic Encyclopedia has on the subject http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07204b.htm

Some of the differences in the lineage can also be attributed to the fact that it was not at all uncommon for a man to marry his brother's widow and to beget children with her, but for the child to be given the name of his mother's first husband. It's possible that in some of the records a child is given his (bio) father's name, while in other records is given his legal father's name.

Justin

D
D
Alex;

I am now even more fascinated.

Why were the Jewish students first and foremost interested in Christ's Davidic lineage? Can you provide any insight?

John

OP Offline
Dear Doctor John the Deacon,

I think those students basically wanted to test us and also to offer a critique of Christianity's claims to fulfill the OT prophecies concerning the Messiah.

There was a strong "Jews for Jesus" movement there in my day and our Jewish student body was a bit defensive etc.

When I once stopped by the Jews for Jesus table to speak to someone I was taking a course with, a fellow in a yarmulke walking by put his hand on my shoulder and said, "Hey, you shouldn't be standing at this table!"

I told him I wasn't Jewish and he said, "Oh, well that's all right then!"

Alex

Yes, Davidic descent came through both Mary and Joseph.
Stephanos I

OP Offline
Dear Stephanos,

Would either have been valid according to Jewish law?

Alex

L
L
Alex,

I think your last question is a very good one. I'm almost certain (from online conversations with a Hasidic acquiantance) that Christ's lineage isn't legit in the eyes of Jewish Law. This is because descent is only traced through the father (so there goes Mary), and that father had to be the biological father of the child, legal adoption or not (so there goes Joseph).

I'm hoping I've made a mistake or there is some way around this. I just haven't found it (actually, I think I did find it out a few months ago, but I've forgotten it).

Logos Teen

D
D
Dear Teen;

Now I know nothing of Jewish custom, but I thought that one was considered truly Jewish only if his or her mother was Jewish. Perhaps this has no bearing on anything.

John

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.