The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 238 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#268242 12/13/07 01:49 PM
R
OrthoDixieBoy
OP Offline
OrthoDixieBoy
R
I joined Ancestry.com this morning and found that part of my family tree has been well documented and researched. I am ashamed to say that my 11th Great Grandfather was none other than Oliver Cromwell. Sigh. I suppose this means I am also related to Thomas Cromwell...that sleezeball and enemy of St. Thomas More. I always suspected there were skeletons in my family closet. LOL

On the other hand, through another line, Geoffrey Chaucer is my 13th Great Grandfather. So that's not so bad.

Um...I hesitate to mention this but here goes...Hillary Clinton is my 6th cousin once removed. WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Jason

Last edited by RomanRedneck; 12/13/07 01:53 PM.
E
Za myr z'wysot ...
Za myr z'wysot ...
E
Ah, we're all cousins,
___That's what I believe,
'Cause we're all children
___Of Adam and Eve. (Elvis Presley)
Jason,

A few words of wisdom, offered as consolation. cool

Originally Posted by RomanRedneck
I am ashamed to say that my 11th Great Grandfather was none other than Oliver Cromwell ... On the other hand, through another line, Geoffrey Chaucer is my 13th Great Grandfather. So that's not so bad.
Sorry to nit-pick, but that doesn't sound right. 11 generations back to Cromwell, OK, but 13 back to Chaucer? I know you said it's through another line, but we're talking about a difference of 400+ years here, and only 2 generations? confused

Peace,
Deacon Richard

N
N
I'm only related to farmers and vikings, though I think my brother found out one of my ancestors fought for Napoleon.

R
R
You have to wonder about some of those websites like that ...

The boys and I were listening to Prince Caspian (C.S. Lewis) in the car just this morning:

Caspian: I was wishing that I came of a more honourable lineage.

Aslan: You come of the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve, and that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor in earth. Be content.

R
OrthoDixieBoy
OP Offline
OrthoDixieBoy
R
Deacon Richard,

I looked again. I misread the first time. Chaucer is my 18th, not 13th, Great grandfather.

Jason

E
E
Ancestry is a very respectable genealogical website, but depends
on submissions from members who may or may not be competent
and/or honest. This is not meant to throw cold water on Jason's
discoveries; they may very well be accurate. There's going to
be a lot more information available about families with famous
or prominent members than there will be about others.

On the other hand, do some math and estimate how many ancestors
you had living a thousand years ago. Figure how many "generations" you will attribute to a century, 3 or 4.
Then start counting backwards ten centuries, squaring the number
of ancestors for each generation. The final number won't fit
on the ordinary calculator. Consider that many family lines
were extinguished over the centuries by war, plague, famine,
natural disasters and childlessness. This suggests to me
that (1) we are descended from the same couples many times
over, (2) that we are probably all descended from some
famous or notorious people and (3) that we are all much more
closely related by blood than we imagine.

If Jason wants to take the time and spend the money,
perhaps he would want to trying proving that he is not
descended from the Cromwells. I hope that would not cancel
out Chaucer as well! I think 18 generations might very well
do for Chaucer.

Sorry. Amateur genealogists do ramble on.

Penthaitria's quote is one of my favorite lines from the
Narnia books.

Edmac

E
Za myr z'wysot ...
Za myr z'wysot ...
E
Originally Posted by Edmac
... we are descended from the same couples many times over ...
Edmac,

That helps to explain some of the discrepancies between the genealogies of Christ given by Matthew and Luke! wink

Peace,
Deacon Richard

Catholic Gyoza
Catholic Gyoza
Don't feel too bad, my great grandmother's brother, "Uncle Ted" ran for Governor of Indiana on the Communist Party Ticket...

...in the 1930s.

Lord have mercy on Uncle Ted!

I heard the other day on the news that Vice President Dick Cheney and Barrack Obama are cousins. Obama said every family has it's black sheep. Bush, Obama, & Cheney biggrin I guess that means politics runs in the family.

I googled it... biggrin biggrin biggrin

From NBC's Adam Verdugo
In an interview with MSNBC's Norah O'Donnell this afternoon, Lynne Cheney revealed that while researching the Cheney family tree for her new book "Blue Skies, No Fences," she discovered that the Vice President Cheney and Barack Obama are related -- albeit distantly. According to Mrs. Cheney, the two politicians are eighth cousins.

*** Update *** The Obama campaign emails NBC/NJ's Aswini Anburajan that the Chicago Sun-Times actually wrote about this relation back in September, although the article notes that Obama and Cheney are 11th cousins -- not 8th cousins.

*** Update II *** Our mistake: The Sun-Times says that Obama and George Bush are 11th cousins, and Obama and Cheney are ninth cousins once removed. It seems we're all related....
http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2007/10/16/414460.aspx

I joined Ancestry.com this morning and found that part of my family tree has been well documented and researched. I am ashamed to say that my 11th Great Grandfather was none other than Oliver Cromwell. Sigh. I suppose this means I am also related to Thomas Cromwell...that sleezeball and enemy of St. Thomas More. I always suspected there were skeletons in my family closet. LOL

On the other hand, through another line, Geoffrey Chaucer is my 13th Great Grandfather. So that's not so bad.

Um...I hesitate to mention this but here goes...Hillary Clinton is my 6th cousin once removed. WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Jason

Jason-

I'm afraid there is someone who trumps your "shame". Activity in the family tree included well-known accounts of incest, prostitution, adultery, and murder.

Can anyone guess?

Would you perhaps be referring to Tamar & Judah, Rahab and David & Bathsheba?

M
M
Dear Roman Redneck: You mention shame at being related to Oliver Cromwell. The only shame is not living a life worthy of Jesus Christ and His Gospel. I am a direct descendant of the Carmelite Martyr Blessed Hilary Januszewski who died in Dauchau (http://www.carmelites.org.au/januszewski.htm) and my life certainly does not demonstrate that I have martyr's blood in my veins. That is to my shame!
Silouan, Mary's monk

Catholic Gyoza
Catholic Gyoza
Originally Posted by Sophia Wannabe
Would you perhaps be referring to Tamar & Judah, Rahab and David & Bathsheba?

That would be my guess.

Catholic Gyoza
Catholic Gyoza
Originally Posted by Deacon John Montalvo

Jason

Jason-

I'm afraid there is someone who trumps your "shame". Activity in the family tree included well-known accounts of incest, prostitution, adultery, and murder.

Can anyone guess?

You forgot idolatry and sorcery.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.