The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 456 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
PrJ #280535 02/27/08 06:52 PM
Grateful
OP Offline
Grateful
Originally Posted by PrJ
Actually, from a statistical perspective, the person of the priest and/or bishop seems to have little impact on whether people stay or leave, retain or reject. From the data I have seen, connection to community is a key critical identifier but not the priest and/or bishop.

That is interesting. And perhaps sad. The priest should be one of the main "connectors" (sp?) for the people in the Christian community. But, are referring to a sense of identificiation that continues regardless who the pastor happens to be?

-- John

M
M
A friend went church shopping after her children began interacting with others. Her theory was Protestants were the elementary school (and she had theories to who was kindergarten or middle school), Roman Catholics were high school while Orthodoxy was college. She started with the elementary eventually switched to high school doubting she would have the understanding to graduate to college.

�Whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to sin�� (Matt 18:6)
�We saw someone who does not follow us casting out demons in Your name�� (Mark 9:38)

Everyone promotes the message, the key is who is making it relevant to whom. Why is an educated community expected to blindly follow a despot instead of utilizing their gifts as a team while people leave?

Just because one is in college does not mean one knows how to think, sometimes only how to cram to pass a test or two. Why is it more Orthodox to have one Sunday Liturgy for 3 hours with 30 people instead of two tandem 90 minute liturgies serving 300?

Mykhayl #280707 02/29/08 04:39 AM
D
D
It's the people. If there is an group of folks whom one enjoys being with, one comes back. If the people are stand-offish, one does not come back.

If the priest is a part of the enjoyable group, that's a further enticement. If the priest is not so, then the group can remain intact and the priest is just peripheral. Same with the bishops.

The charismatics have been doing this for decades. (Here in Houston there is a huge building labelled: Catholic Charismatic Center along the I-45 freeway south of town.) They find each other and build a community. (I am personally less than comfortable with the charismatic movement, but then again, it's not my place to judge.)

The underlying role of both spirituality and public liturgics are also critical to the establishment and continuation of the group/parish. If the liturgy stinks (either in its natural form or as celebrated/performed), then folks disappear. A core group of like-minded folks who enjoy each others' company, will hold on, but it's terribly frustrating.

There has to be a hook. It may be 'fellowship' (Evangelicals and some Protestants), it may be liturgics (Orthodox and High-Church Whatevers), it may be One-Path-Only (Catholics, Presbyterians) or musicalists (Episcopals, Lutherans), it may be the "ethno-centrists" (Ethnic Orthodox, recent immigrants). This combines with the 'enjoyable group of congregants' and then one sees continued adherence or migration.

What would be fascinating would be to see who moves from where to where. I suspect that High-Church-Whatevers go to high-church RC or to Orthodox; liturgical RCs go to Orthodox or Eastern Catholic; 'fellowship' folks go to protestant or 'ministries'; 'historical faith' folks go RC or Orthodox; and kids/young people go to wherever they are made to feel like adult people.

Any stats on this?

I personally am a High-Church Liturgical Ethnic Singing Foodie. ("IF you feed them, they will come." - NO Jell-o please.)

Dr John

Nan #281544 03/06/08 12:50 AM
A
A
Originally Posted by Nan
Originally Posted by PrJ
Anecdotally (I have not seen any statistics on this), I believe that they also tend to take the fasts more seriously. I was shocked when I moved to the Midwest to see that each fast-food restaurant adds "fish sandwiches" to their menu during Lent.

I don't know when you moved to the Midwest, but fast food places have had fish on their menu for decades. I was probably the only child in the world who looked forward to Lent because I was certain to have fish on Friday.

I am pretty certain that for Wendys it is a "lent only" deal...

But for the most part you are right - the others have fish options. In a pinch, I am a Subway man for tuna salad.

A
A
Originally Posted by Ung-Certez
Let's see, there are more Roman Catholics in the US than there are Eastern Catholic and Orthodox Churches, right? Shouldn't they have a lot more attendance at their churches? What percentage of Roman Catholics attend church regularly vs. the total number of Roman Catholics? Anybody have those percentages?

Ung

I don't follow - why do you think or suspect that the RCs who have a different attendence percentage.

If 250 out of a parish of 1,000 attend...

or

If 2500 out of a parish of 10,000 attend...

Well you both have 25%.

Are you wishing to get the percentage of attendence for BOTH Eastern Catholic/Orthodox and RCC?

U
U
Yes, if it were possible.

Ung

Nan Offline
Originally Posted by A Simple Sinner

But for the most part you are right - the others have fish options. In a pinch, I am a Subway man for tuna salad.

Maybe in your neighborhood, but I'm pretty sure they have fish all year here.

Nan #281594 03/06/08 11:20 AM

You mean fast food can also be FAST food!!! grin
wink

Actually, in Greece, during Lent McDonald's offers what they call a 'McSarakosti' menu...('sarakosti' means Lent in Greek)!

I wonder if they do something like this in Russia too? Does anyone know? Has Lenten fasting caught on there yet?

Alice

Alice #281685 03/06/08 08:17 PM
Del Taco has a tasty Fish Taco, cabbage and a special sauce, lime wedge...finish with that famous liquid bread Corona grin

james

Jakub. #282301 03/11/08 02:32 AM
Del Taco has a tasty Fish Taco, cabbage and a special sauce, lime wedge...finish with that famous liquid bread Corona

Del Taco is still around?!!! I love Del Taco!!! Sadly, all the ones near where I grew up closed down.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Fr. Deacon Lance 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.