The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 326 guests, and 49 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
U
U
Can a Latin bishop dress in Byzantine vestments when concelebrating at a bishop's consecration/installation, or any liturgy concelebration?

Ung

Canon 701

A concelebration between bishops and presbyters of different
Churches sui iuris for a just cause, especially that of fostering
charity, and for the sake of manifesting unity between the Churches, can be done with the permission of the eparchial bishop, while observing all the prescriptions of the liturgical books of the principal celebrant, having removed any liturgical syncretism and wearing the appropriate vestments and insignia of his own Church sui iuris.

Canon 707

1. The preparation of the Eucharistic bread, the prayers performed by the priests before the Divine Liturgy, the observance of the Eucharistic fast, liturgical vestments, the time and place of the celebration and other like matters must be precisely established by the norms of each Church sui iuris.

2. For a just cause and having removed any astonishment on the part of the Christian faithful, it is permissible to use the liturgical vestments and bread of another Church sui iuris.

I would interpret this to mean that at inter-ritual concelebrations it is prefered that each bishop/priest/deacon wears his own Church's vestments but that is permissable to wear anothers.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
U
U
I think Latin prelates should only wear their own Particular Church's vestments when concelebrating in Eastern Prticular Church liturgies. I don't think our Orthodox brethren want to see them in Eastern vestments, that it is somehow disrespectful.

Ung

I have to agree with Ung. Each rite should wear their own vestments and, IMHO, except for dire necessity, a heirarch of one rite should not preside at the Liturgy of another rite. Canon 707 makes it as clear as mud. To avoid the astonishment of the people?

F
F
Richard Cardinal Cushing (Memory Eternal!), the Archbishop of Boston who was a faithful friend of the Greek-Catholics (and recognized as such by no less an authority than Patriarch Maximos IV of holy memory) had a beautiful set of Byzantine Pontifical vestments, complete with Mitre, Pastoral Staff, and Dikero-Trikera, given him by a very well-known Eastern Orthodox family who were also among the major benefactors of the Greek Orthodox Holy Cross Seminary at Brookline, Massachusetts. I well remember Cardinal Cushing, thus vested, giving the Pontifical Blessing with the Dikero-Trikera to open the Divine Liturgy during which the first Melkite Greek-Catholic Bishop for the diaspora was consecrated. I do not remember any complaint or criticism from anyone.

Fr. Serge

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Originally Posted by Serge Keleher
I well remember Cardinal Cushing, thus vested, giving the Pontifical Blessing with the Dikero-Trikera to open the Divine Liturgy during which the first Melkite Greek-Catholic Bishop for the diaspora was consecrated. I do not remember any complaint or criticism from anyone.

Bless, Father,

I agree, although I would note that we speculated previously on the possibility that His Eminence had been accorded faculties by His Beatitude - which would make the situation a bit different.

Many years,

Neil

And before anyone cites chapter and verse at me, ... yes, we both know that such a grant of faculties would run counter to protocol/accepted practice and we discussed that as well in a prior thread. However, to anyone who ever met either of these larger-than-life men, it would be difficult to conjure two hierarchs less likely to feel constrained by bureaucratic rules conceived by mutantes if they deemed it the right thing to do.

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
F
F
ceart go leoir!

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Originally Posted by Serge Keleher
ceart go leoir!

ROTFL biggrin

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
P
P
Originally Posted by Hesychios
It might be nice if one of these were elevated to a Major-Metropolitan. Then put all the others, including Pittsburgh, under it. There is strength in numbers.

Then perhaps put the Major-Metropolitan under Antioch of the Melkites, where they can count on receiving good impartial governance and guidance. There is no reason to have Roma choosing and elevating bishops when there is a perfectly good Eastern church structure to do it.

Just a thought.

Michael

Agreed! In fact, one of our priests and I recently had this very conversation over lunch.

Dave

D
D
Err, isn't Pittsburgh the only metropolia or sui juris church currently in North America? It would seem kind of odd to suddenly elevate another see and structure a sui juris church under it, unless we created a pan-rite sui juris church, with a major archbishop that could come from any of the eastern churches???

hawk

P
P
Originally Posted by dochawk
Err, isn't Pittsburgh the only metropolia or sui juris church currently in North America? It would seem kind of odd to suddenly elevate another see and structure a sui juris church under it, unless we created a pan-rite sui juris church, with a major archbishop that could come from any of the eastern churches???

hawk

I think it's probably fair to say that were it not for the Iron Curtain of the Soviet Era, we would probably be subordinate to them right now; our priests and people came from there and that relationship would still be strong.

A sui iuris church of 2 archeparchies and 6 eparchies would certainly be stronger, and MAYBE some of the issues we have today would not have arisen . . .

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.