The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll, Bradford Roman, Pd1989
5,991 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (Bishop Titus), 551 guests, and 52 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,392
Posts416,746
Members5,991
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#292033 06/17/08 02:00 AM
OP Offline
An interesting story. Thanks to Aaron for passing it on!

Truthfully, I've always wondered the same thing. During the Pope's visit, it sounded like Pope Benedict and the President switched notes! With his brother Jeb being a Catholic, it would not surprise me...

Gordo

Bush Becoming a Catholic?

Monday, June 16, 2008 11:05 AM

By: Jim Meyers Article Font Size

President Bush may follow in the footsteps of his brother Jeb and convert to Catholicism, several European papers are reporting.

In the wake of the president�s visit to see Pope Benedict XVI at the Vatican, Italian newspapers, citing Vatican sources, said Bush was open to the idea of converting to Catholicism.

The Italian newspaper Il Foglio referred to such talk about Bush�s possible conversion and stated that �anything is possible, especially for someone reborn like Bush.�

Noting that Tony Blair converted to Catholicism after leaving office as Britain�s prime minister last year, the paper also stated that �if anything happens, it will happen after he finishes his period as president, not before. It is similar to Blair�s case, but with different circumstances.�

President Bush welcomed Pope Benedict XVI warmly when he visited the U.S. in April. And Vatican watchers noted that Bush met privately with the pontiff in the private gardens of the Vatican last Friday � an unprecedented place for the Pope to meet a head of state. Typically, the Vatican gardens are used by the Pope for private reflection.

A Vatican spokesman said the Pope used the unusual locale to reciprocate for the �warmth� Bush showed when the two met in Washington.

Though the Catholic Church has criticized the U.S. war in Iraq, Bush has been an ardent supporter of pro-life issues; he has staunchly opposed stem-cell research; and he opposes gay marriage � all issues important for Rome.

Currently Bush belongs to a Methodist church in Texas and attends an Episcopal church in Washington, D.C.

A friend of Bush, Father George William Rutler � who converted to Catholicism in 1979 � told the Catholic News Agency that Bush �is not unaware of how evangelicalism, by comparison with Catholicism, may seem more limited both theologically and historically.�

Orthodox Christian
Orthodox Christian
When did Jeb Bush become a Catholic?

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Maria
When did Jeb Bush become a Catholic?

I think it was about 10 years ago, but I could be mistaken (about the time frame).

He is married to a woman of Hispanic descent.

Gordo

Jeb Bush met his wife in 1974 while studying in Mexico. They married sometime later, but I'm pretty sure he was Catholic when the first president Bush was elected in 1988.

And coincidentally, according to this piece:
London Telegraph article [telegraph.co.uk]
Jeb Bush, the president's brother, has already converted to Catholicism.

Catholics have noted that during the contested election in 2000, Jeb Bush travelled to Mexico and prayed to the icon of Our Lady of Guadelupe. His victory was announced by the Supreme Court on December 12, the feast day of the Lady of Guadelupe.
Interesting that Our Lady of Guadalupe is invoked throughout the Americas by those in the pro-life movement, which Jeb Bush and his brother have supported strongly.

And, yes, I am aware that no private revelations are binding or necessary for salvation!

A
A
Gov. Jeb Bush met his wife, Columba, in Leon, Mexico, in 1971 while teaching English as an exchange student at the age of 17. They married in 1974 right after Jeb graduated from college.

I think it was upon the urgings of his wife that Jeb Bush became Catholic early in his career. He is a 3rd (probably now 4th)degree Knight of Columbus.

Amado

(Jeb is short for John Ellis Bush. His youngest son Jeb, Jr. is called "Jebby."

F
F
ne me inducas in tentationem!

L
L
What does "anything is possible, especially for someone reborn like Bush" mean?

Alexis

Orthodox Christian
Orthodox Christian
Originally Posted by Serge Keleher
ne me inducas in tentationem!
smile

D
Orthodox domilsean
Orthodox domilsean
D
Alexis, I guess it means if you can believe in the rapture, you can believe in anything! just kidding.

The oft-forgotten 4th Ghostbuster, Winston Zedmore, famously said: I'll believe anything if there's a steady paycheck in it. grin

T
T
I pray that the war-monger Bush does not convert to Catholicism. He will be pushing for another crusade.

L
L
Theologos,

Regardless of what we think of President Bush personally, shouldn't we celebrate when a person, no matter who he is, abandons heresy and adopts the True Faith?

We are ALL unworthy to call ourselves Catholics, and he would be no different. That doesn't mean he shouldn't convert.

Alexis

F
F
Well, there have been (and are still among the living) some would-be converts whom the Church refused to accept, largely because they either came with baggage they could not relinquish or because they were engaged in something incompatible with Catholicism.

Fr. Serge

J
J
I'm pretty sure Jeb converted after his first run for the Governor's Office in Florida. I understand he was toying with the idea for sometime, but after loosing an election he suddenly had time on his hands to think more. He lost his first run, but ran again in the next election and won - hence we know him only as a Catholic Governor.

L
L
OK, but those decisions are left to those in authority who can determine such things. I don't like President Bush one bit, but if Tony Blair can convert, I don't see why Bush couldn't.

Alexis

Bush will probably repent of his war mistakes in order to become Catholic, or at least once he becomes Catholic. He'll be crusaded against if he doesn't. There are several avowed anti-war activist Catholic priests in the United States who will crucify him if he doesn't. You can't be a warmonger and a Catholic at the same time.

I doubt Fr. Emmanuel Charles McCarthy wouldn't mind though :P

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.