The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
MarianLatino, Bosconian_Jin, MissionIn, Pater Patrick, EasternChristian
5,999 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 257 guests, and 54 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,398
Posts416,768
Members5,999
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
Matta Offline OP
OP Offline
M
The Royal Troparia are recited at the beginning of Orthros, immediately after the ekphonesis following the Lord's Prayer.

The first one is the troparion of the Cross (i.e., of 14 September, in tone 1): "O Lord save your people ...".

The second one is the kontakion of the Cross (i.e., of 14 September, in tone 2): "Christ our God who chose by your free volition ...".

The third (and final) one is a theotokion: "O dread Champion who cannot be put to confusion ...".

Does anyone know, from which feast this theotokion comes, its tone, etc.?

I don't know where it comes from (I did a quick search at analogion.net's Menaion). However, the melody we use is somewhat similar to the one for the Kontakion of the Cross. PM me if you'd like the music and I can see what I can dig up.

Markos

As I recall in most of the Horologia/Chasoslova that I have seen (including Old Rite and Athonite usage) the troparia for the Royal Office are indicated to be "read", not sung in a particular tone, even for Sunday and Festal Orthros. In current Athonite and most Constantinopolitan monastic usages the Royal Office is taken by one reader and the priest.

As far as source I will do some checking.

T
T
It's from the Paraclisis--Kontakion Tone 6: Prostasia Christianon (Zastupnice Christian)

M
Matta Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Although the text looks very similar to "Prostasia christianon", it is not the same. At least the texts I have (Melkite and Antiochian liturgical texts) are not the same as the kontakion "O Never-failing Protectress of Christians".

By the way, we sing Prostasia Christianon in tone 2.

T
T
Yes,Tone 2 "Plagal".

M
Matta Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Perhaps the Russian tradition is different. In the Greek and Antiochene traditions, we sing it in the second tone, not the sixth. I have seen such differences before.

No further ideas where the theotokion of the royal troparia is found elsewhere in our prayers?

Matta,

The Kontakion for Paraklesis is similar, at least in English, to the Theotkion of the Troparia of Orthros, however they are not the same.

For those who can read them:

Κοντάκιον Ἦχος β'

Προστασία τῶν Χριστιανῶν ἀκαταίσχυντε, μεσιτεία πρὸς τὸν Ποιητὴν ἀμετάθετε. Μὴ παρίδῃς ἁμαρτωλῶν δεήσεων φωνάς, ἀλλὰ πρόφθασον, ὡς ἀγαθή, εἰς τὴν βοήθειαν ἡμῶν, τῶν πιστῶς κραυγαζόντων σοι· Τάχυνον εἰς πρεσβείαν, καὶ σπεῦσον εἰς ἱκεσίαν, ἡ προστατεύουσα ἀεί, Θεοτόκε, τῶν τιμώντων σε.

and

Προστασία φοβερὰ καὶ ἀκαταίσχυντε, μὴ παρίδῃς, ἀγαθή, τὰς ἱκεσίας ἡμῶν, πανύμνητε Θεοτόκε, στήριξον ὀρθοδόξων πολιτείαν, σῷζε οὓς ἐκέλευσας βασιλεύειν, καὶ χορήγει αὐτοῖς οὐρανόθεν τὴν νίκην· διότι ἔτεκες τὸν Θεόν, μόνη εὐλογημένη.
For what it's worth, the melody we use in my parish for the above (in English) is also in Tone 2.

Markos
[with thanks to analogion.net]

Last edited by MarkosC; 07/29/08 10:13 PM.
M
Matta Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Many thanks, Markos. Hopefully someone will know where the second one (the theotokion of the Royal Troparia) is used elsewhere--if at all.

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.