The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Drummerboy, FrankoMD, +resurrexi+, Eala, Halogirl5
6,004 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 335 guests, and 43 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,404
Posts416,800
Members6,004
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Originally Posted by Administrator
Deacon Robert summarizes Catholic Teaching quite well. Bishop Martino is simply proclaiming the Catholic Faith and applying the prescriptions given in the canons.

No one rejoices in the fact that a politican - or any other Catholic - should engage in actions that exclude himself from partaking of the Eucharist. Indeed, I morn for such people and pray for them.

It is, however, very good to see a bishop stopping politicians from using the Eucharist as a political tool. Sadly, many politicians use the Eucharist as a political tool. They reject the Catholic Faith on life issues, publicly take Communion, and try to use the photo-op to say to voters (and the world) that you can vote to keep killing babies in the womb and be a good Catholic. I will note that the Church has clearly rejected the idea that there are other issues (even added together) that would comprise a moral good that would allow voting for a moral intrinsic evil (like abortion).

I also support Bishop Joseph 100% and will pray for him.

John

Unfortunately, the bishops seem to only target supposed pro-abortion politicians while no one else gets the same finger pointed at them. What about divorced and invalidly remarried people, people co-habitating outside of marriage, people who attend maybe twice yearly, and who still go to communion? I know some, I've seen them take communion. These politicians are the only unrepentant, notorious sinners that need public chastisement?

Catholic Gyoza
Catholic Gyoza
Originally Posted by AMM
I don’t know if it is a pretty big deal.

If my bishop started telling people something was a mortal sin, i.e. their souls were in peril of being eternally lost, and it turns out it was just something he made up on his own; I would consider it a fairly big deal. I for one would not trust his judgment or leadership.

I do not think it is a numbers game.

I would guess that if you look at what both major parties do and stand for, you can find a slew of things (and big things) that directly violate Catholic principles. If our ability to receive communion is based on our participation in politics or public life, nobody should be receiving communion ever.

How are any of the things you are complaining about any different than an Orthodox priest refusing Holy Communion for anyone he feels is unworthy. From what I have read here at Byzcath for the last 3.5 years this happens all the time. "Father refuses Communion if he smells cigarettes on your breath... Father refuses Communion if he doesn't know who you are... etc..."

This is what the priest is supposed to do. He is to protect the Eucharist from profanation and the laity from committing sins.

Therefore whosoever shall eat this bread, or drink the chalice of the Lord unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and of the blood of the Lord. But let a man prove himself: and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of the chalice. For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh judgment to himself, not discerning the body of the Lord. Therefore are there many infirm and weak among you, and many sleep.
1 Corinthians 11:27-30

Catholic Gyoza
Catholic Gyoza
Originally Posted by John K
Originally Posted by Administrator
Deacon Robert summarizes Catholic Teaching quite well. Bishop Martino is simply proclaiming the Catholic Faith and applying the prescriptions given in the canons.

No one rejoices in the fact that a politican - or any other Catholic - should engage in actions that exclude himself from partaking of the Eucharist. Indeed, I morn for such people and pray for them.

It is, however, very good to see a bishop stopping politicians from using the Eucharist as a political tool. Sadly, many politicians use the Eucharist as a political tool. They reject the Catholic Faith on life issues, publicly take Communion, and try to use the photo-op to say to voters (and the world) that you can vote to keep killing babies in the womb and be a good Catholic. I will note that the Church has clearly rejected the idea that there are other issues (even added together) that would comprise a moral good that would allow voting for a moral intrinsic evil (like abortion).

I also support Bishop Joseph 100% and will pray for him.

John

Unfortunately, the bishops seem to only target supposed pro-abortion politicians while no one else gets the same finger pointed at them. What about divorced and invalidly remarried people, people co-habitating outside of marriage, people who attend maybe twice yearly, and who still go to communion? I know some, I've seen them take communion. These politicians are the only unrepentant, notorious sinners that need public chastisement?

I don't know how it is in your neck of the woods, but folks around here who are divorced and invalidly remarried do not show up for Communion. Many have even stopped going to Church because they know that they are in the wrong. (Unfortunately...)

I think this thread is fast nearing the end of its useful life. This is Great Lent where we are admonished by our common Father among the Saints, John Chrysostom, to avoid "eating the flesh of the brethren" even as we fast from fleshmeats. We may disagree on this action and we may disagree what the criteria are for the prohibition of Holy Communion to any person for whatever the reason.

But this is Great Lent when our common reason for the season is self-examination, not arguing over the actions of others. In a perfect world this would not come up. The fact that it is so broken is the reason we need this season of penance.

In Christ,

BOB

Last edited by theophan; 03/04/09 01:49 PM.
J
J
Bob,

Well said. I do feel that I must say however that if Catholic teaching and practice were really carried out consistently, then almost no one would be able to receive communion. That more than 95% of Catholic couples practice contraception means that at the maximum, no more than 5% of any given parish should be receiving communion. Also, given the fact that well over 95% of all Christians fail to live up to at least one or more non-negotiable moral/political teachings of the Catholic Church suggests some very bad news for us all. Indeed, it is very clear that Rome thinks that the natural law and reason alone are sufficient to show that things like contraception are grave perversions. Since this should be self evident to anyone of good will and average intelligence, it shows the depth of depravity that has overtaken even most devout Christians.

Frankly, it saddens me. Where is grace? Where is humility? Where is the recognition that life is complicated and that while it is important to strive for justice in matters of politics, there is a real distinction between the political sphere and the moral sphere?

I thank God that my spiritual fathers and my Church does not issue such ultimatums and absolute demands. Indeed, the Church has never done this. As adamantly opposed to abortion as the early Church was, it was also true that abortion was not uniformly outlawed and I see no evidence that the fathers of the Church pushed for extensive civil penalties. Should communion have been denied to the Church fathers and to the byzantine emperors? Should Thomas Aquinas have been denied communion for suggesting that it was imprudent to make prostitution illegal? (If people can be denied communion for supporting the legalization of contraception, why not those who support the legalization of prostitution or the legalization of drugs?) Perhaps Francis of Assisi and Bernard of Clairveax should have been denied communion for preaching the crusade? Thomas Aquinas held that the state had the right and obligation to murder "heretics." Ineed, one can look at Lyons (I think Lyons II?) and see how the Western Church officially sanctioned murder as well as the ghetto-izing of the Jews.

I think perhaps we just should stop serving communion altogether.

Okay, I'm done with this rant and I apologize. I've already broken my Lenten resolution at least twice or more. I think I need to take a break.

Joe

I offer this only in the interest of shedding light, not heat, on this subject.

These Vatican Directives may clarify the Church's position on these matters relative to couples in this situation:
Vatican Directives on the Distribution of Communion - Divorce and Remarriage [vatican.va]

Here is a quotation from Pope John Paul II of blessed memory on the proper pastoral response:
Familiaris Consortio [vatican.va]

Divorced Persons Who Have Remarried

84. Daily experience unfortunately shows that people who have obtained a divorce usually intend to enter into a new union, obviously not with a Catholic religious ceremony. Since this is an evil that, like the others, is affecting more and more Catholics as well, the problem must be faced with resolution and without delay. The Synod Fathers studied it expressly. The Church, which was set up to lead to salvation all people and especially the baptized, cannot abandon to their own devices those who have been previously bound by sacramental marriage and who have attempted a second marriage. The Church will therefore make untiring efforts to put at their disposal her means of salvation.

Pastors must know that, for the sake of truth, they are obliged to exercise careful discernment of situations. There is in fact a difference between those who have sincerely tried to save their first marriage and have been unjustly abandoned, and those who through their own grave fault have destroyed a canonically valid marriage. Finally, there are those who have entered into a second union for the sake of the children's upbringing, and who are sometimes subjectively certain in conscience that their previous and irreparably destroyed marriage had never been valid.

Together with the Synod, I earnestly call upon pastors and the whole community of the faithful to help the divorced, and with solicitous care to make sure that they do not consider themselves as separated from the Church, for as baptized persons they can, and indeed must, share in her life. They should be encouraged to listen to the word of God, to attend the Sacrifice of the Mass, to persevere in prayer, to contribute to works of charity and to community efforts in favor of justice, to bring up their children in the Christian faith, to cultivate the spirit and practice of penance and thus implore, day by day, God's grace. Let the Church pray for them, encourage them and show herself a merciful mother, and thus sustain them in faith and hope.

However, the Church reaffirms her practice, which is based upon Sacred Scripture, of not admitting to Eucharistic Communion divorced persons who have remarried. They are unable to be admitted thereto from the fact that their state and condition of life objectively contradict that union of love between Christ and the Church which is signified and effected by the Eucharist. Besides this, there is another special pastoral reason: if these people were admitted to the Eucharist, the faithful would be led into error and confusion regarding the Church's teaching about the indissolubility of marriage.

Reconciliation in the sacrament of Penance which would open the way to the Eucharist, can only be granted to those who, repenting of having broken the sign of the Covenant and of fidelity to Christ, are sincerely ready to undertake a way of life that is no longer in contradiction to the indissolubility of marriage. This means, in practice, that when, for serious reasons, such as for example the children's upbringing, a man and a woman cannot satisfy the obligation to separate, they "take on themselves the duty to live in complete continence, that is, by abstinence from the acts proper to married couples."(180)

Similarly, the respect due to the sacrament of Matrimony, to the couples themselves and their families, and also to the community of the faithful, forbids any pastor, for whatever reason or pretext even of a pastoral nature, to perform ceremonies of any kind for divorced people who remarry. Such ceremonies would give the impression of the celebration of a new sacramentally valid marriage, and would thus lead people into error concerning the indissolubility of a validly contracted marriage.

By acting in this way, the Church professes her own fidelity to Christ and to His truth. At the same time she shows motherly concern for these children of hers, especially those who, through no fault of their own, have been abandoned by their legitimate partner.

With firm confidence she believes that those who have rejected the Lord's command and are still living in this state will be able to obtain from God the grace of conversion and salvation, provided that they have persevered in prayer, penance and charity.

Originally Posted by JSMelkiteOrthodoxy
Bob,

Well said. I do feel that I must say however that if Catholic teaching and practice were really carried out consistently, then almost no one would be able to receive communion. That more than 95% of Catholic couples practice contraception means that at the maximum, no more than 5% of any given parish should be receiving communion.

Pontifical Council for the Family's Response to Issues of Conjugal Chastity and Confession
Some Guidelines for Confessors [vatican.va]

J
J
And by the way. I don't want to generate any more heat so I'll refrain from posting on this in the future.

John
John
Originally Posted by AMM
If my bishop started telling people something was a mortal sin, i.e. their souls were in peril of being eternally lost, and it turns out it was just something he made up on his own; I would consider it a fairly big deal. I for one would not trust his judgment or leadership.
You seem to be in agreement with Archbishop Chaput here (and I’m quoting from the same source as above):

The Church in the United States has done a poor job of forming the faith and conscience of Catholics for more than 40 years. And now we’re harvesting the results-- in the public square, in our families and in the confusion of our personal lives. I could name many good people and programs that seem to disprove what I just said. But I could name many more that do prove it, and some of them work in Washington.

The problem with mistakes in our past is that they compound themselves geometrically into the future unless we face them and fix them. The truth is, the American electorate is changing, both ethnically and in age. And unless Catholics have a conversion of heart that helps us see what we’ve become -- that we haven’t just “assimilated” to American culture, but that we’ve also been absorbed and bleached and digested by it – then we’ll fail in our duties to a new generation and a new electorate. And a real Catholic presence in American life will continue to weaken and disappear.
Your comment makes me think of the statements from the Catholic bishops (then the NAB now the USCCB) during the 1980s that presented America as evil and the Soviet Union as peace-loving, all while our own people – Orthodox, Greek Catholic, Roman Catholic and others – were being jailed and even put to death for their faith in Christ. At best they spoke clumsily and it was a lost opportunity to teach orthodoxy. At worst they aided the enemy.

Originally Posted by AMM
I would guess that if you look at what both major parties do and stand for, you can find a slew of things (and big things) that directly violate Catholic principles. If our ability to receive communion is based on our participation in politics or public life, nobody should be receiving communion ever.
So your reasoning here is that failure to follow Christ in our public lives should not be an obstacle to partaking of the Eucharist? Sorry, but that is not correct. Even if 99.9% of Catholics were united in rejecting a Catholic moral teaching (like those on abortion or artificial contraception) the Church would not change her teachings, and such people should refrain from approaching the Chalice.

The Church does provide a specific order. Life issues come first and outrank all other issues. This is not difficult to understand or to follow.

Although Bob has asked to close this thread I will leave it open at the moment. I will ask that further discussions be limited to the topic title and that discussions of some of these new topics be continued in new threads.

Catholic Gyoza
Catholic Gyoza
Also to answer a question about contraception, people who contracept are doing so privately (I hope.)

E
Za myr z'wysot ...
Za myr z'wysot ...
E
Originally Posted by John K
John,

In most parishes, there are far too many people to keep track of everybody, and what is or is not their marital status, how often they attend Sunday Mass, etc. In other words, what would surely have been a public sin in times past (or still would be, in a simpler environment, such as a small town or a close-knit neighborhood), really isn't very public.

However, all this changes when the individual in question is "in the public eye," which makes certain details of his or her life a matter of common knowledge. This certainly includes--although it is not limited to--politicians.

Furthermore, there is an important reason for singling out politicians in particular, which is the fact that the very nature of their job requires them to be constantly looking to garner the support of as many people as possible. For a Catholic politician, this usually means trying to persuade the Catholic voters that he is 100% Catholic, while at the same time persuading non-Catholic voters (and colleagues) that his Catholic identity is really rather unimportant.

So it is very much in the interest of Catholic voters not to be manipulated in this fashion, and the responsibility of the bishops and priests to see to it that they aren't.

Peace,
Deacon Richard

L
OP Offline
L

The emphasis here really needs to be on the word Public. For the vast majority of those receiving communion, priests will have no way of knowing if they are in a state of grace or not. The best they can do then, and I know of some who do, is to continually emphasize the importance of frequent confession.

L
L
It is my opinion that the most charitable thing to do for a public, unrepentant sinner is to deny him Holy Communion at all costs. In this way, the bishop and priests show true charity both to those who would be scandalized by the reception, but even more importantly, to the public, unrepentant sinner who would "eat and drink judgment against himself."

It has always seemed to me that priests and bishops who commune these people (or anyone who is known to be in mortal sin) really in fact do not love them as Christians should. They care more about the person's reputation, or their own, or their parish's or Church's, than they do for the eternal salvation of those they were given to shepherd. And that's a scary thought.

I say good for Bishop Martino.

Alexis

A
AMM Offline
A
Would everyone here be comfortable with Bishop Martino saying anyone who voted for the Democrats should be refused communion?

John
John
Originally Posted by AMM
Would everyone here be comfortable with Bishop Martino saying anyone who voted for the Democrats should be refused communion?
No. I would be very uncomfortable with such a statement. Bishop Joseph has not made voting an issue of party membership. There are some pro-life Democrats out there!

I have long stated that if Catholics would simply vote only for pro-life politicians that in a few election cycles pro-life candidates would be the norm in all parties. Unfortunately there are many who simply do not care about the pro-born enough to actually vote according to Catholic values.

But we've covered this before. You seem to be intent on making this about condemnation of a particular party rather then the actual, specific issues of life that are involved. It is not about party membership. Rome and the various bishops' statements have made that clear. It is about Life and protecting it from conception to natural death.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2024). All rights reserved.