The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Drummerboy, FrankoMD, +resurrexi+, Eala, Halogirl5
6,004 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 321 guests, and 48 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,404
Posts416,800
Members6,004
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Maybe the intention of the priest and bishops is to educate. Maybe the intention is CHARITY to get those that partake unworthly to stop. Maybe the priests and bishops want these people not to heap more and more sins upon themselves "unto death".

John K,
If you "don't get the photo op thing," you might take a look at the current story on the Rorate Caeli blogsite: http://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/

It depicts pro-abortion mayor Antonio Villaraigosa yukking it up with the Cardinal Archbishop of Los Angeles and an auxiliary bishop who I do not recognize. No, the mayor is not taking communion, but the principle is the same. The Church should not be lending its political support to pro-abortion politicians. That amounts to scandal in my book.

And then there is the famous image of President Bill Clinton receiving the Sacrament from an african priest.
http://images.google.com/images?sou...mp;um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

Originally Posted by Leo XIII
John K,
If you "don't get the photo op thing," you might take a look at the current story on the Rorate Caeli blogsite: http://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/

It depicts pro-abortion mayor Antonio Villaraigosa yukking it up with the Cardinal Archbishop of Los Angeles and an auxiliary bishop who I do not recognize. No, the mayor is not taking communion, but the principle is the same. The Church should not be lending its political support to pro-abortion politicians. That amounts to scandal in my book.

OK--so the Cardinal and Mayor were both at some basilica to ostensibly celebrate an Hispanic feast day. It didn't mention that it was a campaign stop. At public events, church and state are bound to collide. (Watch coverage of all the Patrick's Day events this weekend!) I wouldn't turn every appearance or photograph into an endorsement.
Even I smile and am pleasant to everyone in a social situation, regardless of whether or not I like them or agree with their politics, religion, opinions, or hair color. Were there pictures taken of me "smoozing" at some functions, the photo definitely would paint a different picture than what was reality. Posting a picture like that and saying that the Cardinal and Mayor are in each other's pocket is a National Enquirer tactic.

Bottom line, none of us is worthy to take Communion.

L
L
"Bottom line, none of us is worthy to take Communion."

Nevertheless, it is something which Catholics in good standing are required to do at least once a year.

Alexis

Catholic Gyoza
Catholic Gyoza
In a State of Grace, that is.

L
L
Of course. But to suggest that it's okay that President Clinton took Communion because no one is really worthy of it is ludicrous, in my opinion, and offensive.

Alexis

Originally Posted by Logos - Alexis
Of course. But to suggest that it's okay that President Clinton took Communion because no one is really worthy of it is ludicrous, in my opinion, and offensive.

Alexis

Who suggested that? Certainly not me. I just cannot stomach the fact the so many people, the bishops included, single out so called liberal politicians. And obviously the "once a year communion" is still a precept. By stating that none of us is worthy, I was simply reiterating that we have been given a gift that except through grace, we are not worthy to have.

L
L
Ok, John. I am with you in not simply "singling out" liberal politicians.

I hope we can all agree that bishops of the Church upholding Catholic teaching is something we should celebrate, not denigrate. But I'm for applying that across the board.

Alexis

John,
The shame is that people actually excommunicate themselves. There's no need for the Church to do it "officially". When someone knowingly decides that "I am my own" (the first precept of hell - George MacDonald) It's their decision, not the Church's.
The Church simply much ensure it does not create Scandal by enabling the excommunicated to sin (by way of the Eucharist.)
I am glad our Metropolitan, Bishop, and Priest hold a firm Catholic position. That's one reason so many Roman Rite People attend our church regularly.
S.A.W.

Kathleen,
Good thoughts. I would quickly point out that Captial Punishment is considered a Just punishment for a Guilty murderer (argued by many, and me as well.) Abortion is the killing of an Innocent. I'm not clear on your intention, but I thought I'd make that note. Thanks for your post.
Steve

L
L
Capital punishment in today's society is, 99.99% of the time, at least to me, vindictive, morally debased, uncivilized and a waste of taxpayers' money when there is often a cheaper alternative (life in prison). But I understand the vast majority of people on this board don't agree with me.

Alexis

Originally Posted by Catechumen
Kathleen,
Good thoughts. I would quickly point out that Captial Punishment is considered a Just punishment for a Guilty murderer (argued by many, and me as well.) Abortion is the killing of an Innocent. I'm not clear on your intention, but I thought I'd make that note. Thanks for your post.
Steve

Abortion is always murder. IMHO so is the intentional starting of labour when the baby is not viable. Capital punsihment is not against the teaching of the Catholic Church so can be a non-issue here.

If anyone is looking from me tomorrow you can find me at the 40 Days for Life in Pittsburgh.

E
Za myr z'wysot ...
Za myr z'wysot ...
E
Originally Posted by Logos - Alexis
Capital punishment in today's society is, 99.99% of the time, at least to me, vindictive, morally debased, uncivilized and a waste of taxpayers' money when there is often a cheaper alternative (life in prison). But I understand the vast majority of people on this board don't agree with me.
Alexis,

Pope John Paul was staunchly opposed to capital punishment. In fact, he made it quite clear that he considered the only justification for taking a human life is when other means of restraining a dangerous killer are not available.

For my part, I used to have a problem with the notion that CP was somehow "unjust," especially in light of the fact that for over a thousand years, "Christian" kings employed CP regularly. If it was OK then, why is it suddenly not-so-OK now?

However, I came to realize that what you say is true. Supposedly, people are looking for "closure," but what they really want is vengeance. Furthermore, I began to see that the Gospel really teaches that everything that happens--even the bad things--are somehow a part of God's plan. In other words, this murderer didn't just drop somhow into God's perfect plan and ruin it. Rather, in some ineffable way, he was part of it.

I think when we recapture this perspective, we will recapture the power of the Gospel.

Peace,
Deacon Richard

L
L
Father Deacon,

I agree. And what to me is often so sad is that when people have unspeakable crimes perpetrated against them or their loved ones, they are handed a perfect opportunity to forgive and grow spiritually. Instead, and understandably, oftentimes capital punishment allows people to exercise their hate - just at the time when Christians should be wanting to forgive the most. Yes, it's tempting and natural, in a morally flawed sort of way, to want to kill and even torture criminals who have wronged us or our loved ones deeply. But, personally, in the end I think it's a tragic waste of a real opportunity to employ a central message of the Gospel.

Look at what John Paul II did for his assailant: he came to meet with, pray with, and forgive the man who tried to murder him. What an example for all of us.

Alexis

Last edited by Logos - Alexis; 03/12/09 07:00 PM.
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2024). All rights reserved.