The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (NathanJA), 395 guests, and 36 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
P
OP Offline
P
I am curious if any natural born Americans who have converted to Orthodoxy in the ROCOR jurisdiction would share their expierences. I am a Byzantine Catholic very much attracted to ROCOR (not that I sense myself called to conversion) and was curious what it is like to be a convert into that jurisdiction. Where I live in Minnesota ROCOR seems to be primarily new immigrant ethnic Russians and some disgruntled formers OCAers.

The former priest of the Slovak Greek Catholic Church in Toronto became a Rassaphor monk in Jordanville about 20 years ago. I believe his name is now Fr. Jeremiah. He was Canadian born of I believe Slovak/Croatian lineage.

Alexandr

S
S
The pastor of the Church of Our Lady in Philadelphia is a former Jesuit, Father Athanasy. He has been pastor there for many years and is deeply loved and respected. A considerable number of the younger members of his parish are converts.

A
A
The late Archimandrite Anastassy (Newcomb) was an Irish-American Catholic convert to ROCOR:

http://sarabitus.blogspot.com/2007/01/archimandrite-anastassy-newcomb.html

Last edited by asianpilgrim; 08/31/09 03:24 PM.
L
L
It is also worth noting Bishop Jerome (Shaw), Bishop of Manhattan and Vicar of the ROCOR Archdiocese of New York and Eastern America. He comes from an old New England family.

Speech of Archimandrite Jerome (Shaw) [russianorthodoxchurch.ws] At the Nomination Service On the Eve of His Consecration as Bishop of Manhattan.

A
A
Add to the list Fr. Seraphim Rose (born Methodist) and Bishop George of Mayfield (former Catholic).

Also Fr Archimandrite Joasaph (formerly Francis McLellan, Professor at Princeton) who is currently in charge of the Russian Ecclesiastical Mission in the Holy Land (ROCOR)

A
A
Originally Posted by Hieromonk Ambrose
Also Fr Archimandrite Joasaph (formerly Francis McLellan, Professor at Princeton) who is currently in charge of the Russian Ecclesiastical Mission in the Holy Land (ROCOR)

What was his affiliation formerly?

A
A
The soon-to-be OCA Bishop of Quebec City, Irenee (Rochon), is a former Catholic who initially converted to Orthodoxy via ROCOR.

Yes, he's Canadian, not really American, but you do share the same continent don't you? smile

Moderated by  Irish Melkite 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.