The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll, Bradford Roman, Pd1989
5,991 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 382 guests, and 34 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,392
Posts416,746
Members5,991
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
D

This is the iconostasis at Sts Cyril and Methodius in Fort Pierce, FL. (My parish) Here is a link to our facebook page.

fortpiercebyzantines [facebook.com]

Last edited by Irish Melkite; 01/28/13 01:34 AM. Reason: fix url
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
dbeuscher,

I fixed the FB link (img links don't work from FB as best I can tell). I was going to fix the link to the iconostasis as well, but couldn't find the photo on the FB page.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
I find this rather odd. It seems like the iconostasis and altar are on a high school stage. Not sure if this is temporary, or if this actually was the church, this is from St. Michael's Ukrainian Orthodox Church:

Not sure where this is located, though.

Addendum to my last post...

NOW I see why they are on a stage with a temporary iconostasis and chairs, etc... I think it was this St. Michael's. I forgot that it was this one: https://www.byzcath.org/forums/ubbt...ccidental_blaze_damages_St_Mi#Post388464

C
C
To revive this thread, a particularly unusual icon screen from a Greek Catholic church in Romania:

[Linked Image]

http://www.grecocatolicvlm.cif2.net/

The use of giant hands for Royal Doors is, to put it mildly, creepy!

Fr. David

Chtec #397137 07/23/13 09:28 PM
Especially since they look like the hands of Vlad Dracul reaching up from the grave. Is this parish near Castle Dracula?

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
T
T
Originally Posted by Fr. Deacon Lance
Especially since they look like the hands of Vlad Dracul reaching up from the grave. Is this parish near Castle Dracula?

Well, at least we are back to the title of this thread. laugh

Weird, indeed!

Chtec #397645 08/04/13 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by Chtec
To revive this thread, a particularly unusual icon screen from a Greek Catholic church in Romania:

[Linked Image]

http://www.grecocatolicvlm.cif2.net/

The use of giant hands for Royal Doors is, to put it mildly, creepy!

Fr. David

Hmm. Perhaps I might want to look at St. George's Romanian Cathedral or at least St. Helena's Romanian Byzantine Church to see what their iconostases are like. Sounds interesting.

Back to this theme again. For the first time in my life I was amazed of the absence of taste and artistic intuition of an Italian!!! artist. This artist (her name is Lisa Gannerini) is not afraid to place her work into the main place in the middle (altar), makes an awful copy of the famous Rublev icon of the Trinity and surround her bacchanalia with copies of Giotto's masterpieces. I'd never thought before that Italians could create such a kitsch frown
Watch the first part of the video and have a rest to your eyes, enjoy the beauty of Giotto's paintings, because from the 2:20 minute you will be awaken... shocked and surprised.

Last edited by Nataly; 06/28/14 03:53 PM.
M
M
For all of her pedigree of artistic patronage, has the Roman Catholic Church fostered anything of artistic merit...by that I mean having merit according to secular tastes as well...since, I don't know, Baroque or Mannerism? I find this a real blot on her heritage. Of course, we have to bear in mind that some of what the secular realm considers art has in some ways been debased for some time, but not as long as the Roman Catholic Church's aesthetic losing streak. BTW, I do appreciate some modern art and architecture, but not all of this translates well to religious subjects or inculcates worship.

The music was positively beautiful, angelic, heavenly--such beauty in worship can only be inspired by the Holy Spirit.

Can't say much about the art, other than the beautiful Giotto iconography.

The medieval period (Catholic) in art was mostly if not predominantly religious and in my opinion, it was a shining star...a period where one can actually 'feel' the holiness when walking through museums and churches done in this period's style.

Mark: I particularly like Gothic--I think it was a high period and shining star of religious aesthetic of the Catholic church. One can still feel awe when walking into a traditional Gothic cathedral.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.