The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 246 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Alice Offline OP
OP Offline
Hopefully this won't be considered a contentious subject! wink

A member of our family has pancreatic cancer (by the grace of God caught by accident during another screening in its early stages), and in researching what exactly may contribute to this killer, I found the following article.

There is nothing more precious than our health, so I offer this with love to all my sausage, bacon, kielbasa, hot dog and cold cut loving friends:

Processed meat consumption results in 67% increase in pancreatic cancer risk, says new research
Consuming processed meats increases the risk of pancreatic cancer, says new research conducted at the University of Hawaii that followed nearly 200,000 men and women for seven years. According to lead study author Ute Nothlings, people who consumed the most processed meats (hot dogs and sausage) showed a 67% increased risk of pancreatic cancer over those who consumed little or no meat products.
But researchers failed to accurately identify the culprit responsible for this increased risk of pancreatic cancer, says one author. The true cause of the heightened cancer risk is the widespread use of a carcinogenic precursor ingredient known as sodium nitrite by food processing companies, says nutritionist Mike Adams, author of the just-published Grocery Warning manual.
Nearly all processed meats are made with sodium nitrite: breakfast sausage, hot dogs, jerkies, bacon, lunch meat, and even meats in canned soup products. Yet this ingredient is a precursor to highly carcinogenic nitrosamines -- potent cancer-causing chemicals that accelerate the formation and growth of cancer cells throughout the body. When consumers eat sodium nitrite in popular meat products, nitrosamines are formed in the body where they promote the growth of various cancers, including colorectal cancer and pancreatic cancer, says Adams.

continued here:
https://www.organicconsumers.org/old_articles/foodsafety/processedmeat050305.php

B
B
All this makes me glad I am a vegetarian. My most dangerous food is chocolate, and it is a health food. grin

Alice Offline OP
OP Offline
After following Eastern fasting days for atleast ten years now, I now consider myself 90% vegetarian and I love it! smile

Charles, it is a very good thing that you are vegetarian.

When I do eat meat (once a week at most during non-fasting periods), I can splurge and make sure that it is the healthiest quality: organic, fully grass fed, etc. Eating this kind of meat makes me feel better about my health and the environment.

Eating this way is the *real* Mediterranean way ..a small amount of meat on Sundays and special occasions alongside lots of yummy vegetables and salads.

Thank goodness for Trader Joe's where I can find fully grass fed minced beef because I admit to still having a soft spot for minced meat based dishes!

If one is observant with all the Fasting days (including Wednesdays and Fridays) it appx 1/3 of the year.

Many dietary experts believe that Americans shouldreduce their meat consumption by 1/3.

I believe that most Americans should become observant Orthodox.

Alice Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Thomas the Seeker
If one is observant with all the Fasting days (including Wednesdays and Fridays) it appx 1/3 of the year.

Many dietary experts believe that Americans shouldreduce their meat consumption by 1/3.

I believe that most Americans should become observant Orthodox.

It would help!! smile

M
M
God help,

Would come this report to support a researcher like Dr. T. Collin Campbell, whose work resides in a book like The China Study?

Thank you.

B
B
Although I don't eat meat, something is different today. My grandparents and great grandparents were heavy sausage and bacon eaters, which they as farmers raised and cured themselves. They all lived very long lives in good health. If these foods are now cancer promoting, there has to be some difference somewhere.

Originally Posted by byzanTN
Although I don't eat meat, something is different today. My grandparents and great grandparents were heavy sausage and bacon eaters, which they as farmers raised and cured themselves. They all lived very long lives in good health. If these foods are now cancer promoting, there has to be some difference somewhere.

That is the "difference somewhere"--grass fed, no growth hormones, no nitrate preservatives.

Don't you think it's baloney?
In a year two red meat will be declared safe, but they'll find something else to scare us. Remember a few years ago when eggs were said to be bad because of cholesterol, but now we're encouraged to enjoy them. What does a person believe?

B
B
"That is the "difference somewhere"--grass fed, no growth hormones, no nitrate preservatives."

Interesting. I am about as far removed from farming as is possible and have little knowledge of such. Now chocolate, I do know. grin

O
O
And chocolate is good for you smile

Providing of course that it's good dark chocolate biggrin

John
John
[Linked Image from s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com]

Life is fatal if you live long enough.

B
B
He who laughs last, laughs best - also laughs longest.

B
B
Originally Posted by Our Lady's slave
And chocolate is good for you smile

Providing of course that it's good dark chocolate biggrin

Amen!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.